Do cigar smokers have an affinity for "OTC's"?

Joined Jan 2013
21 Posts | 2+
Fort Walton Beach, FL
In the pipe world, there are many blends that are available at drug stores, or found at gas stations/convenience stores.

Many pipe smokers stand by these classics, and for good reason. My favorite is probably Half and Half.

I ask this because I remember my father smoking Dutch Masters when I was young. Are there brands that any of you smoke that could be considered "OTC's"? And if you smoke them, why?

I've never considered it. I see bundles behind the counter at Walgreens. I guess the main reason I've never considered them is that they are unhumidified. Makes me think of Backwoods or something.

Funny that you mention it, there is a convenience store in the town that I grew up in and currently work in that has a humidor behind the counter. They sell Perdomos, R&Js, Punches, and some Acids. First time I have seen a convenience store sell premium brands.

DL

Out in the sticks where I live, there's not much in the way of cigars OTC. There's a B&M about 20 miles south, but they didn't have much of a selection. There's a gas station about 50 miles away that sells Topstone directors and when I'm down that way next week I think I'll swing by and buy a few. Most of the nearby gas stations and stores sell unknown or unwanted brands.

Most of the "OTC" cigars that you buy at garages etc. are not considered to be quality cigars, generally they are machine made, and they will never compare with the quality, flavor, and experience a fine hand rolled cigar will give you. A true cigar brother does not let other brothers smoke junk.

While I mostly agree with Bikeman, there are a few machine made cigars that are worth smoking-tho they are getting harder to find. Most of my early cigar smoking was with the machine made Topstone, Topper, Muniemaker and Judges Cave brands. These were Connecticut shade grown broadleaf wrapped cigars that generally did not look very well made but made up for it in taste. These cigars are getting hard to find- particularly if you are fussy about the wrapper. The price of CT tobacco for wrappers and binders has made for reduced production and higher prices for these machine mades and I'm not sure if they were available outside the northeast USA. In my years of vacationing in Cancun (last trip 2003) I generally traveled there with a full box of Topstones and a pound of black cavendish tobacco. Pipe tobacco was very expensive and hard to find in the Cancun area. I still have a few Muniemaker longs in my humidors, but my favorite of the group was the Topstone bouquet colo claro. I never tried the more expensive Topstone director (6-7 inches-48 ring) and I'm not sure if it's hand or machine made-but I'm willing to drive 10-20 miles out of my way to try a few.

When I started smoking at 17, I smoked OTCs. Once I hit 18 and could by my first handmade cigar, I never really went back. I'll smoke an OTC maybe once every three years or so with my gramps.

I'd much rather smoke and ACID than an otc

When I started smoking at 17, I smoked OTCs. Once I hit 18 and could by my first handmade cigar, I never really went back. I'll smoke an OTC maybe once every three years or so with my gramps.

I'd much rather smoke and ACID than an otc

Not me. Acids are plain disgusting.

DL

I'd rather have quality tobacco that is infused with grandma's perfume than the floor sweeoings of sub-par tobacco.

Just my feeling. I know a lot of people hate ACID. Maybe its because I'm a youngin'.

We'll have to send you more of those Cognac Duques to adjust your taste buds. ;)

Reactions: 1 users