Don Pepin Cuban Classic

Joined May 2007
38 Posts | 0+
Studio City, CA
This is my introduction to this Forum. I'm a Monthly Cigar Member, and wanted to give this great Cigar a quick review! This cigar only (out of 3 others I have) was a little veiny, and the wrapper was a bit dry (again, the others I have are not), but it lite up just fine. It starts out w/a strong full body, I mean, watch out for those who prefer med.-full, because it stays very full until about 1/2 way when all that kept you to this point gets smooth, and the fun starts, you'll notice how it all of a sudden mellowed out. Creamy, silky, soft notes that make you puff more frequent. No runs from the entire cigar, never got hot nor bitter. A beautiful white ash stays on until you dump it on your lap, woops! A well constructed, well balanced and blended Cigar.

Thanks,
Vincent :twisted:

Good review.

How would you compare this stick with the others you've had?

Wow, good question!

To answer I must preface that I prefer Full Body Cigars and this is one of them. I only seem to smoke cigars rated over 90 (C.A.), because they tend to rarely be bad in all aspects. Now finding your flavor, well, that's a personall choice that may take years to know what you really love in a cigar. This cigar does not bring back fond memories of a fine Cuban Cigar, it can't, it's just not Cuban Puro (Don Peppin is, LOL), but the notes, flavors, aftertaste are right up there w/any 91-92 rated Cigar. To me, "the more complex a cigar, the happier I am.

Can I compare this to anything else, NO, these babies are unique, and that uniqness is what every Maker/Blender should aim for!

I have over 100 cigars in my humidor, 30 differant makes, all over 90+ rated, do I try anything but 90+'s, you bet, because you never know what giant is sleeping out there!

Vincent :p

Re: Wow, good question!

Vincent said:
I only seem to smoke cigars rated over 90 (C.A.)

CA ratings are in fact, over-rated. I would never limit myself to only smoking what Marvin Shanken likes, and what he deems "90+ worthy". Some of my favorite cigars have seen ratings as low as 82, which makes me believe it has nothing to do with the cigar, but how "generous" the manufacturer is with his advertising pocketbook.

*Disclaimer* The above statments are just my thoughts. I have huge respect for cigar manufacturers, and do not think the ratings are always fair to them. Its sad how much these "ratings" can affect sales of a particular cigar.

When I first started smoking I took a lot of the CA ratings and went out and found those cigars. It was not the smartest thing to do. I found myself smoking cigars and wondering what was so good about them. Now that I am a little more experienced I basically read the reviews mostly for entertainment, I could care less what M. Shanken or J. Suckling think of what they are smoking. I care about what I am smoking. That being said, I do agree with the 93 rating that the Tatuaje Havana IV Angeles got in this months issue. Those things are superb.

Ya know, I smoked a Pepin Black Figurado last night and I have to agree with Vincents review somewhat. This thing did start out way strong but about two inches in it mellowed like crazy. I mentioned this in the what did you smoke today thread. It was like two cigars in one. Quite nice, I wouldn't go so far as to give it a 90+ rating, not at all. Maybe an 85. Far as complexity goes I don't feel that this cigar is all that, seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Nice cigar, not outstanding though.

You see Cloudy, I knew we would hit it off and agree on something, LOL! :D

Vincent :twisted: