equisicat crystals

Joined Jan 2007
2K Posts | 5+
Enjoying Life!
has anyone used equisicat crystals. If so how well do they work. How much H2O do you add to start?

Craig, you cannot go wrong with the crystals brother!

I have used mine for quite a while already, and find that they hold things at anywhere from 65 to 69%, and that is just fine!

What I do is gently spray them with distilled water, wetting just a little over half at one time, then you still leave some dry to absorb any excess moisture that might accumulate. I keep mine in drilled out cigar tubes, but you can use almost any type of container that works for you.

There you go brother!

I use the water crystals ( polymers) in my Oasis and they work great. Why could you not use them?

Beads and polymers are two different things.

Polymers are fine.

Beads are a passive humidification system, they just do there own thing.

Polymers just hold a LOT of watter and are perfect for the active humidification that a CO gives you

Beads are crystals also? I am not understanding why you sadi you cant use beads? Cmontgomery was talking about crystals?

Travismaine said:
Beads are crystals also? I am not understanding why you sadi you cant use beads? Cmontgomery was talking about crystals?

He is talking about using Kitty litter. those are trained to act just like beads. if you put Beads in a CO it will give you no benefits what so ever, beside quickly running out of water.

Barcochris said:
...He is talking about using Kitty litter. those are trained to act just like beads...

So you can potty train the kitty litter?

what im getting out of this is that the litter will be "untrained" by the CO.

Any over humidification would not be soaked up correctly.

Why would you want to put Kitty litter (beads) in a co? They are two completly differnt humidification systems.

kuzi16 said:
what im getting out of this is that the litter will be "untrained" by the CO.

Any over humidification would not be soaked up correctly.

Thats correct. Still have not found out how to 'Train' the beads.

hammondc said:
Thats correct. Still have not found out how to 'Train' the beads.

That is easy.

What you need to do is put the beads in a dish or bowl. I like to add a few table spoons of water to get them going.

Place the beads in a humidor(if you have the room) or a tupperware container large enough to fit the beads a hygro and a shot glass of water.

Put everything in the container (or Humidor) even the shot glass of water for 24 hours. Check the RH, if it is were you want it to be keep everything the same. if it is low add more watter if it is high leave the container open for a bit. Do this for a week or two and you will have trained beads.

You could also get a couple of Boveda packs and get them set to the rH that you specifically want them set to.

Well I bought some crystals online. When you guys say a little will go along way you meant it. I was actualy having fun watching them grow. I bought 4 lbs. So I guess my 5 year old will have some fun projects ahead of her. I may even have to have a plant growing contest with my wife and not tell her I am using the crystals in the soil :twisted:

Just a thought, what is the feasability of making some into cold packs for shipping cigars in the hot months. Does anyone think that would work well. I think it may help deliver fresh smokes. Any thoughts?

i think that as they thawed they would give off a lot of moisture and might be a problem.

I was thinking in a seperate ziplock. That way no moisture could enter the bag with the smokes. Sorta like getting live fish or corals online

cmontgomery said:
I was thinking in a seperate ziplock. That way no moisture could enter the bag with the smokes. Sorta like getting live fish or corals online

Wouldn't they melt relatively fast?. Added weight could increase shipping costs.