Exhaust/air purifier ideas?

Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts | 0+
Sierra Nevada Mountains, CA
I was wondering if any of you have ever built/installed any type of exhaust system for removing large amounts of smoke in any room. My man room gets very overpowered during the weekly poker games and some of the less robust fellas get a little green.

I was thinking something along the lines of a bathroom exhaust ceiling fan, then piping the exhaust through the attic space and out the gable vent. Anyone else have any good ideas, or ways you have done the same?

Bathroom exhaust fans are a very low CFM and will not do the job. I have made a window mount 1200 CFM blower in my computer/smoking room and it is more then enough. You can install one of these in the ceiling and duct it outside. Do not duct it into the attic.

Sweet lord Travis! Do you have to strap yourself in to smoke? :lol:

I put in a 200CFM remote blower in my smoking room. It will recoup the air of the room in about 1 1/2 minutes. What you want IMO is an air change about every 5 minutes. The remote blower is in my utility room and I have a 6" duct from a vent in the ceiling of the smoking room to it and then out the exaust side to a sidewall vent. A 200CFM remote blower will run around $200. I bought mine off ebay new without a box for 75 with shipping. So if you look around you can find deals.

I also found that you have to be able to draw air from other areas as well, because if you seal up the room too tight, you create too much negative pressure and end up with not enough airflow to carry the smoke to the vent. I will soon be putting in a return air vent with a damper so that when I smoke, I can open that and get good airflow.

Also, no matter how good your ventilation is, you need to get rid of all ashes and butts immediately after smoking. They will stink up the room like you wouldn't believe.

thanks guys, those are some good ideas. I wasn't going to vent into the attic, merely route the venting pipe through it to the outside. Wow, 1200CFM, thats rockin! Might suck my dog to the ceiling! 8) I do like the idea of a remote unit with a vent in the ceiling, thanks for the tip.

It is off a shop dust collector. It sucks the smoke out the room NP. I did put a speed control on it so it is not going full throttle.

The size of the room should set the size of the exhaust fan.
Small room small fan will do, if the room is larger than a lager fan will be needed.

Just received a Blueair 402 HEPA filter unit with a smoke (charcoal) filter as a birthday gift from my wife. Now I can smoke in my room--TV, computer, access to wine and cigar cellar--without cracking open the door. Nice, since it is going to be in the 20s all week.

Not a cheap alternative, but seems to do well, and I am worth it. lol.