Expanding my piping knowledge...

Joined Sep 2007
626 Posts | 1+
In my Mack truck somewhere in a Chicago suburb smo
Ok, so here's a few questions I've been thinking about....

1) This might seem silly to some, but if a cigar's blend derives from an even burn of its fillers, binder(s), wrapper(s), is it technically concievable to grind up a cigar and smoke it in a pipe, lol...I know that sounds ridiculous, but...would that work?

2) How does pipe tobacco get its different "flavor"? I recently had a Natural by Drew Estate, and no doubt there is pipe tobacco in there OR he proccessed his tobacco to taste like pipe tobacco...is the preperation process of pipe tobacco the same for cigar tobacco? Pipe tobacco also smells different than a cigar...why is that if its just as "tobacco" as the cigar "tobacco" is...that make sense?

i can only speak about the first one:

yes, yes it can.

my corn cobb pipe has seen the a$$ end of a gurkha centurian before. ( a few others too) i just didnt wanna stop smoking it.

it worked out ok. i didnt grind it up or anything. just stuck it in there lit side up. kinda looked funny when it was still stickin out a bit.

It's my (admittedly limited) understanding that the tobaccos are prepared differently.

Cigar tobacco is generally prepped in a more open and airy manner, hanging in barns etc. While more direct and intense pressure and heat is involved in tobacco for pipes. And pipe tobacco is "aromaticised" (it's a word now dang it!) a lot more often than cigars ... I mean how many people shun Acid vs. Cornell and Diehl :D

As for the Drew Natural, the site says it uses tobacco from Syria (Latakia?), St. James Parish (Perique?), etc ... so it would make sense if they're pipey :)

Hatchetman said:
2) How does pipe tobacco get its different "flavor"? ...why is that if its just as "tobacco" as the cigar "tobacco" is...that make sense?
The curing process varies depending on the type and style of the tobacco, but some pipe tobaccos also have special additives (mostly sugar-based) or undergo a "smoking" process (not like pipe smoking, but like smoked meat). Usually though, some of several different types are used in the blends that we smoke in our pipes, so it may take several different processes to develop the particular blend that you enjoy.

You can find some more info here.

I always save the torpedo ends from Cuban cigars and smoke them in my pipe. :lol: