Favorite drink for cleaning your palate?

Joined Jan 2005
359 Posts | 0+
To really taste and enjoy a cigar I prefer cold water, this tends to enhance taste for me the best. Was wondering what the forum favorite was/is.

I also like ice tea on occasion. Scotch compliments a cigar as well, but masks a lot of flavors. Not something I would really call a palate cleaner, as much as a compliment to the tobacco. It tends to be a favorite if I happen to be smoking an old favorite. I love beer, but after having drank a few beers I might as well be smoking a bundled cigar because a fine premium is wasted for me. What say you?

well,
currenly my fav drink is Taqueray Gin w/ tonic and lime. Doesn't work well with a full bodied cigar though. Light or medium is ok for me. Glenmerangie single malt highland scotch (10yr) is my fav scotch. I like the little bite at the end from its slight immaturity. Its a good compliment to most cigars I've tried. If I want the cigar to stand alone and really check out the cigars character, I'll opt for just water.

If I'm on a roll with beer (IPA's are my fav) almost any decent cigar will do.

Good thread. It gives me a chance to share something I stumbled on. If you really want to clean the palate before, after, or better yet between puffs I highly recomend club soda. Flavorless and carbonated it is like taking a first draw every puff.

i have never tried club soda but it is on my list now. I usually drink water, or I will have one beer. I limit myself to drinking my first beer while smoking the post work cigar, that way I don't totally trash the flavors. If i want to drink more after the cigar is done then i do. Based on reading posts on scotch and smoking with scotch i just recently started trying that with a cigar but i am limiting it to only the most powerfull cigars, since i am new to scotch and it is pretty powerfull for me still.

I love Taqueray and tonics! That's a good one, If I'm not drinking I'll go with water, or club soda. I'd drink a diet coke but that has a little too much flavor for me if trying to really taste or rate a cigar..

Macallan said:
Good thread. It gives me a chance to share something I stumbled on. If you really want to clean the palate before, after, or better yet between puffs I highly recomend club soda. Flavorless and carbonated it is like taking a first draw every puff.

I'm gonna have to try that...good idea Macallan :cheerschug:

I've used club soda. I prefer something that Bill Cosby (who is a big cigar smoker) suggested: take a sip of coffee and a small bite of chocolate or a pinch of unsweetened cocoa.

cian

To cleanse the palate between different cigars I generally have Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray TEN Gin and tonic. I'm also gonna take Macallan's advice and try club soda.

I'll have to try club soda as well, never occured to me to drink the stuff alone, I always considered it a mixer.

i had a primero with a coke last night, it actually went pretty good. did mask it a little but i enjoyed it.

Coffee - mostly because that is what I drink.

I would vote 4 water if doing a taste test as it cleans the palate
and does not add any flavor.

I would vote 4 water if doing a taste test as it cleans the palate
and does not add any flavor.
that depends on what state your in lol

I'm with axegod, Love a bombay saphire and tonic or TT and gin. A rocks glass with single barrel or small batch bourbon is good too, basil hayden, knob creek!

:D :D :D :D

I usually just drink water. I tried drinking coke once while smoking...bad idea. yechh.

it doesnt work at all with a strong cigar, but a mild simple one its not bad. now mountain dew with any cigar is a bad idea.

I tend to stay away from soda in general while smoking...that one bad experience has marred me. Something about the carbonation just doesn't seem to mix well with cigar smoke on the toungue for me.

I've always found a Glenfiddich compliments a medium to full bodied cigar. However due the long lingering aftertaste of the whiskey some of the cigar's intricate flavours may be masked.

-James

i had coke from a 2 litre with ice at the tasting tonight. Since it was a little flat it was pretty good with a cigar. I don't drink pop really so it won't be something i do often.

Chopin brand Vodka. It cuts through everything. For clearing a palate there's nothing better. And it only takes a little bit, so maybe a shot to a shot and a half worth would get you through a good churchill.