Favorite Scotch

Joined Jul 2007
57 Posts | 0+
Ft Lauderdale, FL
For you scotch drinkers out there, what are some of your favorite single malt scotches? I keep straying around trying to test new ones but I always end up coming back to either Macallan 15 or 18 and Balvenie 17 or 21. The older ones end up being more of a treat with the younger ones as my every day scotch.

Macallan 18 is my go to scotch. I also love the 25. One of my all time favorites is the Glenmorrange (sp) 30 year. My brother left a bottle at my house, starting drinking it, just delecious. Then I looked it up online and saw what it was worth ($650) :shocked: and figured I better save it to drink with him!!!

My favorite every day scotches are: Macallan 12, Highland Park 12, and Balvenie 12, and Talisker 10(when I need a jolt of pepper and peat).

I had some Glen Keith 10year about a month back at a friends. Was great with the CAO CX2s we had. Havn't seen it anywhere since though :(

my favorite single malt scotch dammmmm thats like asking me who my favorite grandchild is , on a scale from 1 to 10 most of them get a 9.5 or better ( on the scotch side of the equatision) , at this time I have a snifter of dalwinnie 15 yo & a short story working with a mug of columbian supermo , all are working well together , sorry its a best seller not a short stoty, but nun the less or more, they still work.... Earlytoday I had a Laugavulin 16yo with a Camacho diploma & a mug of Tanzanian peaberry, & that was a fine match also, as for my favorite STYLE of scotch I guess I will say the ISLAYS are the ones I buy most often, but I enjoy Highlans malts as well as lowland malts , spayside, Cambletown malts are also FINE in my book, hey if your pouring, I am drinking ! , for an every day dram at work, I keep a bottle of Spayburn 10YO in my locker, or a Bowmore Islay, some times its a mcellen lowlands, or an Atchoshan an outher lowland dram, , I like Laphroaig, & caol Ila as well as Abalour A'Brunda , cask strength Macallen & lets not forget the single malt IRISH whiskys, like redBreast, or the new find of mine a single malt Whelsh wiski Penderayn . so many wiskys so little time ......
enjoy, Vince

I got a bottle of Glenfiddich 18YO for Christmas and it is great. I have also had GlenLivet Nadura and it was great as well. Also, working on some Aberfeldy 12YO and GlenLiver 12YO. I don't think I have met a scotch I don't like.

vince said:
my favorite single malt scotch dammmmm thats like asking me who my favorite grandchild is , on a scale from 1 to 10 most of them get a 9.5 or better ( on the scotch side of the equatision) , at this time I have a snifter of dalwinnie 15 yo & a short story working with a mug of columbian supermo , all are working well together , sorry its a best seller not a short stoty, but nun the less or more, they still work.... Earlytoday I had a Laugavulin 16yo with a Camacho diploma & a mug of Tanzanian peaberry, & that was a fine match also, as for my favorite STYLE of scotch I guess I will say the ISLAYS are the ones I buy most often, but I enjoy Highlans malts as well as lowland malts , spayside, Cambletown malts are also FINE in my book, hey if your pouring, I am drinking ! , for an every day dram at work, I keep a bottle of Spayburn 10YO in my locker, or a Bowmore Islay, some times its a mcellen lowlands, or an Atchoshan an outher lowland dram, , I like Laphroaig, & caol Ila as well as Abalour A'Brunda , cask strength Macallen & lets not forget the single malt IRISH whiskys, like redBreast, or the new find of mine a single malt Whelsh wiski Penderayn . so many wiskys so little time ......
enjoy, Vince

Nice Picks Vince! I have tried the Lagavulin 16 and it was great. I haven't tried Dalwhinnie though and I'll look it up next time I'm at the liquor store. Wasn't a real big fan of Bowmore though. I tried a 17 year for that and it had a strong acidic taste to it that I didn't enjoy. So true though so many fantastic ones to try. I'm just picking around for a new one to try, and was going to randomly pick one next time I'm at the liquor store. Thanks for the ideas guys :)

I try not to spend more than $50 per bottle so my favorites may be considered "limited" to some folks :)

That said ...

Macallan 12 (neat or 1 ice cube)
Glenlivet Nadurra (1 ice cube, sometimes a splash of soda)
Oban 14 (neat)

I like to mix things up, so I rarely get the same bottle twice.

Even though it is not single malt, I am a fan of the classic Johnnie Walker Black label. It goes great with a med-full bodied cigar. Chivas Regal is my second choice, only because there are fewer cigars that I like to accompany the drink with.

bmakpadron said:
Even though it is not single malt, I am a fan of the classic Johnnie Walker Black label. It goes great with a med-full bodied cigar. Chivas Regal is my second choice, only because there are fewer cigars that I like to accompany the drink with.

Hummm Camp Lajune , Must be a marine , No disrespect but you should try a great single malt start off with a relaitive mild one like OBAN , then work your way up the chain till you hit Laphroaig , when you sipp it with a , Mombatcho from Tabacaleria Tropical & sip a double espresso, & still can taste anything after that you will be a MAN with educated taste buds !
Enjoy, Vince

GO NAVY

Glenlivet 12 is a very good single malt for blend drinkers to try. So much more flavor than Chivas.

My some fav's in no particular order:

Macallan Cask Strength
Johnny Walker Swing (Can't get it in the states)
Laphroaig

Capt said:

Macallan Cask Strength
Laphroaig

Actually, I have seen Johnnie Walker Swing at liquor stores around here. Sixty bucks or so IIRC. It's been around here for a while. Take a look around and you might find it. I'm in Charleston, SC. If it's in South Carolina, it should be pretty much anywhere.

acharpe said:
Capt said:

Macallan Cask Strength
Laphroaig

Actually, I have seen Johnnie Walker Swing at liquor stores around here. Sixty bucks or so IIRC. It's been around here for a while. Take a look around and you might find it. I'm in Charleston, SC. If it's in South Carolina, it should be pretty much anywhere.

is that the one in the bottle that rocks back & forth? if it is , I havent seen it since I was a kid back in the NAVY , didnt know that it was still being produced, wouldnt mind giving it a taste again
Enjoy, Vince

Yes Vince, thats the one. I didn't know you could get it stateside Hmm!

the last time I saw this , was back in the late 60's maybe early 70's , swing , it rocked with the ship & didnt tip over ! , loved to watch it slosh arround in heavy weather, to busy watching the bottle to get sick hahahaha ! Enjoy, Vince