Final New Bourbon Review and updated Top 25 of 2004-5 . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
Bourbon/Rye season.

This isn't my last sip of bourbon or rye for the season, and although it may happen slowly, soon when temperatures get to a certain point, I will no longer be able to savor, much less imagine the myriad flavors of the candy-like pure American spirits of bourbon and rye. Therefore, the Bloofingtonian Top 25 of Bourbon listed below will represent the final revision and "list that applies" until the NFL kicks off it's new season in September.

Having an excellent stock of old favorites to kick the 2005-6 bourbon/rye season off, when the NFL kicks off its next season I will shop around to see if there is anything "new" to try. At that time the Bloofy Top 25 list may change again, but at least for the next five months, this is it.

With temperatures in my "neck of the (ever shrinking) woods" still pretty cool, the season is still on though. And as I savor a few sips from a just opened bottle of my No. 10 bourbon (Baker's), allow me to review another wonderful find that I had my definitive tasting of yesterday.

It took around four or five tastings, but I finally know where this unique and obscure Kentucky sipping pleasure belongs. And that is firmly in the Bloofingtonian Top 25. Another budget conscious member of the vast armada of bourbons that are out there waiting for us all to try. This one is called . . .

Rowan's Creek. Although it is lacking the wax neck button, this is made by that same obscure "small batch bourbon"* operation that makes Pure Kentucky, Kentucky Vintage and Old Commonwealth. But as we found out in another discussion about Old Commonwealth from our friends tnbackpacker and Hollowe Pointe, Old Commonwealth was really made by someone in one of bourbons grand old families.

So, this "small batch bourbon" operation, whoever they are, either gets "not quite up to snuff" bourbon from major operations and sells it under their own labels, or . . .

well, this is where this blond(e)'s head starts to spin. What we do know is that this is 100.1 proof, 12 year old bourbon, distilled on 8/27/92 and bottled on 11/22/04. And it's got a very old fashioned looking, rustic and alluring label, deliberately reminding you of simple country life, and with a nice little story on the back about how the bourbon got its name. How special. :roll: True? Who knows, but it's nice.

And it tastes better than nice. One thing I've learned about these inexpensive, bargain basement top shelf bourbons is------ . . .

Heyyyyyy, what does he mean by bargain basement, top shelf bourbons??? Well, "bargain basement" bourbon is something that is two to four years old, costs less than $10 (less than $15 in NYC), tastes pretty simple, and can even be found in 1.75 liter bottles. "Bargain basement top shelf bourbon" tastes really good, although many have a "muddy", somewhat "unrefined" consistency, but it's not a far stretch to see how they taste like some "top shelf" bourbons.

The "bargain basement top shelf" bourbons that I've tried can usually be found for $19.99 plus shipping or tax, depending on the method of purchase. This one came to me at $29.99 plus tax, or a $32.58 "walk out price" at Warehouse Wines, located at 735 Broadway in Manhattan, NYC, adjacent to the block that Astor Wines is located on. Warehouse Wines has a great selection of everything, but no web site. They have a somewhat different selection than Astor Wines, and better prices on certain items. Rowan's Creek is one of them. It sells for much more elsewhere, as does the rest of this mysterious "small batch bourbon" collection.

Rowan's Creek is a thick, full flavored bourbon, a blast of spicy oak layered on a heavy spread of orange marmalade, with a little medium amber maple syrup playing in the background. Occasionally, at the very end, during the long, long finish, there is a sudden, unmistakeable tang of pure rye whiskey calling boldly from out of the finish. I guess that means there's a heavy percentage of rye in the mash bill, because it's so obvious and it comes after all the other flavors have left your palate.

One thing that bothers me about some of these lower priced, but still wonderful finds in the world of bourbon is that muddy consistency I mentioned before. The flavors tend to run together on certain sips and the true beauty of the flavor profile can get lost. I can understand why they don't end up in the $50-75 range with the big advertising, because they are "lesser" in that respect, but they are in no way, shape or form "second rate" in my opinion. Perhaps it's the filtration (or lack thereof?), or maybe it's just that they were stored in areas that generally produce the lower priced bourbons.

It seems that every warehouse has it's "sweet spots" for bourbon aging, and the rest of the stuff gets ordinary labeling and lower prices. I believe that Rowan's Creek is yet another example of a product that is probably produced by the big boys and girls, but not quite worthy of a big name or big price. It's also unique and intriguing enough to have banged heads with some big favorites of mine. This is a real tough decision, but it snapped me to attention and impressed me enough to garner No. 19. A very tough choice, but Rowan's Creek put up that good of a fight.

Top 25 Bourbon List

1. A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 year old
2. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year old
3. The Classic Cask Single Batch 20 year old
4. Booker's True Barrel
5. W.L. Weller Wheated 19 year old
6. Distiller's Masterpiece I - Cognac Finish
7. Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old
8. The Classic Cask Single Batch 18 year old
9. George T. Stagg 2002
10. Baker's
11. George T. Stagg 2003
12. Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 15 year old
13. Knob Creek
14. Pure Kentucky
15. Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve
16. Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year old
17. Basil Hayden’s
18. Henry McKenna 10 year old bonded
19. Rowan’s Creek
20. Jefferson’s Reserve 15 year old
21. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
22. Blanton’s
23. Kentucky Vintage
24. Fighting Cock 6 year old
25. Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 23 year old

*"small batch bourbon" is not to be confused with The Small Batch Bourbon Collection from The Jim Beam Distillery. The term "The Small Batch Bourbon Collection" is trademarked.