Finally pulled the trigger

Joined Apr 2006
1K Posts | 0+
Watching Eli smoke Robs cigars
Bought me a pipe and goodies and a load of dif tobacco to try. Should have it on Monday. I'll let y'all know when I burn my first bowl!

WTG Eli. I promise you it is almost as bad a disease as the cigar sickness is.

:wink:

Me too!

After reading some of these posts, and armed with the good info posted here, I've decided to head out today to a local tobacco shop to buy a pipe or two and some tobacco. While I love smoking cigars, it can become quite expensive very fast especially when you smoke as many as I do. The idea is to find another way to enjoy tobacco and maybe save a buck or two as well.

I'm thinking I'll get 2 pipes, one straight and one bent, spending about $30-50 on each. A pipe smoking friend from work suggested to get 2 to start as it's a good idea to alernate each day and give each one a rest. Also planning to pick up 2 or 3 different kinds of tobacco.

When I think back to many years ago when I used to smoke a pipe occasionaly, I can remember getting small amounts of bitter "juice" (saliva?) that really tasted bad and detracted from the experience. Is this normal? And how do you prevent this?

Thanks!

IMO the best way to prevent that bitter "juice" is to smoke slow and dry. Make sure your tobacco is not to wet and smoke your pipe slow. I will take some tobacco and put it in the microwave for may 8 seconds if it feels really wet before I smoke.

Here is something you really should learn also as it will greatly improve your smoking exp: http://www.newyorkpipeclub.com/FrankCentral.html

Once you learn this method of packing your pipe you will be amazed at how much more fun it is to smoke. Its a little tricky to learn but once done is well worth it.

You will need a soft flame lighter, a tamper, and pipe cleaners to start.

I ended up getting 3 cheapo pipes and 3 different tobaccos, Norse Sea, hunters blend, and bullseye. I smoked a bowl of each in the differnt pipes. I liked the hunters blend and the norse sea blends best.
Very informative link Steve. After reading about the proper filling technique, I smoked another bowl of the Norse Sea blend using the technique and it did seem to burn a little cooler and it didn't need a relight either.
These blends seem rather mild to me. I think next time I'm going to check out an English blend or something with a little more flavor.
[/i]

Hmm, I am really thinking about getting a pipe or two. Just trying to figure out how I am going to explain it to my wife now. :) She already hates cigars enough.

Linc, once you make the initial purchase of your pipe and accesories you will actually find smoking a pipe cheaper than smoking cigars. If you can some how work that into a conversation about getting a pipe it might help you with your wife. 8)

LOL Rodney....

I too have been thinking of getting a pipe for the last few months. If this cigar tax passes I will definitely be getting a few and that will probably replace a great deal of my cigar smoking. I like that once you make the initial purchase, the tobacco is much cheaper than smoking cigars on a daily basis.