Finnally venturing in here...Any PIPE Tobacco guys here?

Joined Jan 2005
3K Posts | 0+
Up&Down the PRK...I CAN'T GET OUT!!!!
Finnally venturing in here to this forum. Never really had much call to as if/when I smoked it was always cigs...never could get used to cigars.....(flame suit ON :lol: )

Anyway, took up Pipe Tobacco smoking over the summer and looking for some tips & hints that I'm not seeing on the general 'net sites.

So in short...Any PIPE Tobacco guys here?

Wondering if ya' could point me to some makers/blenders along the lines of the types I've already tried and liked. I seem to be favoring the truly DARK tobacco along the lines of "Moriearty", "Black Gold", with the lighter side not going much past "Scotch Highlands".............. the general Captain Black just aint doin it for me.....

Any suggestions?

thanks,

metalhead

(((Whooops!))) I see I posted in the wrong spot!!!! :oops: Mods please forgive! You've changed some things here since last I visited!!!!

I used to smoke a pipe quite a bit (wife got me started thinking it would get me away from cigarettes :? ; didn't work). I like the darker tobaccos also. I will check to see what the names/brands were. Haven't touched the pipe in years. I keep thinking about starting again though. . .

Thank you to Kev who moved this for me to the right spot :D

V-man- sounds like your wife was thinking the same thing(s) I was. I just needed a break from the cigs.... but I know what you're saying- the pipe just doesn't have the same "kick" or "ummph" as cigs. Definitely more relaxing and a lot more 'involved' than with the cig route of reach for one and light up.

I will await patiently any input you have on brands. Thanks

I am currently enjoying some Black Ambrosia from Mac Baren.
Sweet aroma, awesome taste, feels like fall when I smoke it.

Thank ya' sir! Puttin' it on my list for an order once I think I've got enough to order!!!!

Here's a dark aromatic blend I like: http://www.thepiperoom.com/tobacco/hous ... lends.html

Look for the one called 'Delf', thats the dark one. Sometimes it can come a little on the moist side and you might have to let it air dry a few to overnight so it's not too wet. If you get it too dry you can always get it back up.

My all time favorite is 'Elfin Journey', it is different from Delf and worth a try if you like aromatic blends.

AH! now thank you- that actually a site I've both been to and considered ordering from....just didn't know what to get.

Much obliged!

Here's a tip:

Learn tobacco types. There's Virginia, Carolina, Perique, Cavendish, Latikia, Burley, flue cured, sun cured . . .

General division is American, English, and Dutch.

American uses Virginia, Carolina, Burley. English uses Virginia and Latikia blended. Dutch uses Cavendish which is an aromatic sugar cured.

Aromatics use sugars in the mix -- American blends for the most part. Sugared aromatics are inclined to burn hot.

Strong, dark tobaccos tend to burn cooler.

Cavendish is a hotter smoke than an English blend.

Then you get into "cuts" -- how the tobacco is cut affects how it burns. Cigarette cut burns evenly, but hot, is easy to keep lit. Cubes and chunks tend to be harder to get burning, but burn somewhat cooler.

You can buy tobacco in "cakes" or "twists" that are compressed and you "work it" in your palm to get it the consistency you want to smoke.

Find a tobacconist . . . Smoke shops in large cities will have them. He'll be blending the tobacco in the shop and have bins and bins of blends out on a counter. You can smell it, look at the cut. Most shops encourage you to fill your pipe with a blend and give it a try.

Then you can buy it in bulk -- half an oz. to pounds.

Once you get to know your tobacconist and your favored blends, he'll point you to things you might want to try.

Don't try to settle on "one blend." It's not like a marriage. You can smoke as many blends as you feel like.

I like the English blends with a LOT of Latikia, also Carolinas and cake/flake cut in "Dark Navy" -- which is a Carolina blend.

-- I won't get into pipes . . . They accumulate like firearms.

I bought my first pipe last week and so far so good. Don't know anything about pipe smoking yet but I bought an ounce of Doublegate and it's pretty good. If you haven't tried a pipe yet you should. It's nice.

thank you xeke.

I am finding the darks burn cooler....MUCh cooler than the lighter blends.

I've heard of cig tobacco in pipes...but is it litterally just dump out a marlborro into the pipe???????????

Xeke said:
Learn tobacco types. There's Virginia, Carolina, Perique, Cavendish, Latikia, Burley, flue cured, sun cured . . .

General division is American, English, and Dutch.

American uses Virginia, Carolina, Burley. English uses Virginia and Latikia blended. Dutch uses Cavendish which is an aromatic sugar cured.

Aromatics use sugars in the mix -- American blends for the most part. Cavendish is a hotter smoke than an English blend.

Xeke, cavendish is not a type of tobacco, it is a curing method. Cavendish is usually produced using Kentucky, Virginia, or Burley tobacco. Pressed tobacco introduced to heat or steam, and allowed to ferment, brings forth natural sugar content in the tobacco.

Also, not all aromatics use "sugars". Most use a food grade flavoring either cased or topped to the tobacco.

I finally got a decent pipe. I got a Peterson System Pipe. One of the rustic ones with the flat bottom. It's super nice. Way better than the $7 one I had before.