Flame/torch lighter

Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts | 0+
California
I read the sticky earlier about what to use lighting cigars. My question is what is the difference? I know it has something to do with the taste and chemicals. But is it really that big of a deal if you just toast the end of the lighter(fire not touching the foot of course) with a flame? Why are torch lighters so recommended? Is it just preference?

There are others here far more educated than I in this matter. Torch lighters use a more refined form of butane that is less likely to alter the flavor of a cigar and they tend to be easier to use when the wind is blowing.

I have used a standard cigarette lighter in the past when nothing else was available, but I'm told to let it burn a bit before lighting to let any stray fumes burn off.

At home on a still night, I use old fashioned wooden kitchen matches.
-D

AV has it!
Generally a butane flame is preferred, as opposed to a Zippo (though I collect them as well!). There is also the Z Plus insert for Zippos, which replaces the standard guts with a re-fillable torch insert. Very slick.
Torches will allow you to get the end of your smoke lit faster and more thoroughly. I am a big fan of blowing on the ember and rotating the cigar to get the end fully lit once I have torched it up. IMHO it allows any vapors or fumes to dissipate, and also gets a full burn started properly. Lightly exhale once thru the cigar after lighting, and you are all set!

I used a friend's zippo to light my cigar when were were having a get together at a local park. Man did it taste awful! Could taste the lighter fluid right through the cigar. Me, I'm old school. I still use a wooden match, no need for a lighter here. If I were to buy one it would definitely be a butane torch lighter.

This may sound wierd, but for me smoking a cigar is kind of a ritual from start to finish. Something about using a match and the process of striking it, impatiently waiting a second or two for the sulphur to burn off, rolling the cigar to get it lit evenly, and blowing the match out w/my first good puff of smoke gets me primed and in the mood to really settle down and enjoy my cigar. Wooden matches only tho, never paper (book) matches.

Torch 'em!!!!!

I used to light mine with a wooden match (or 12) when I was indoors but now I love to toast my cigars with my butane torches. Everybody has their preferences - but the one thing I will recommend that has been mentioned in this thread - make sure you blow out as soon as you are done lighting to blow out any sulfur, butane (or in the case of Barcochris - kerosene) before you inhale.

Oh BTW...

The real deal, James Bond-type of super suave cigar lighting maneuver?

Use a cedar spill, or cedar wrap from a cigar to light it.