Flor de Oliva

Joined Mar 2007
482 Posts | 0+
Phoenix, AZ
Let me start by saying I really like the Oliva Serie G and Serie O cigars. They tend to be my pool shooting cigar. I was hoping that the Flor de Oliva would be a cheaper alternative to the higher priced Olivas (not expensive mind you, just higher priced) but sadly they're not. I was very disappointed with this line. So much so that after trying the first one I had to try another just to be sure that the horror I experienced wasn't just a dud. I guess I'm a masochist like that...
I've read a lot of reviews where people actually like this cigar so I expect to take a beating on this one, but let's face it, taste is entirely subjective. (or should I say one man's trash is another man's treasure)

Size: Toro 6x50
Price: $2.00 at cigar.com (which is about $1.99 more than they're worth)

Accompanied with an Iced Green Tea which was a blessing. I would have been ticked off if I ruined a perfectly good Guinness by pairing it up with this dog rocket.

Overall Appearance and Construction: 6/20 - a dry, ugly, spotty, toothy, veiny and very rough wrapper with hard and soft spots throughout. This ugly duckling ain't winning any beauty pageants that's for sure.

Lighting & Burning Properties: 12/15 - I can't believe it actually scored pretty good in any one area. Then again, all it has to do is burn, just like it's supposed to do. Burned a bit fast and a little uneven up to halfway. I don't know how it would have done for the second half because I wasn't able to smoke any more than half of either of the 2. In fact, the 2nd one I disposed of by about 25%.

Construction: 19/30 - Split when cut and had a visible hard spot from end to end on the one I rated. I don't know if a stem got in the mix or what but it caused problems through the whole cigar. Half cigar I mean... remember I didn't make it any farther.

Taste: 10/35 - light to medium body but harsh, bitter, and green tasting with hints of vegetal and spicy flavors. Both of them. Acrid stench and a horrible aftertaste. I had to lick my dog's butt to get the flavor out of my mouth.

Total: 47

0 stars out of 5 (even if it were free). Don't even bother with this one.

Comments: Smells like SH!T and tastes like A$$. Stick to the house labels if you want an inexpensive cigar. They're all much better than this and don't cost much more.

PuFf said:
I had to lick my dog's butt to get the flavor out of my mouth.

often in life when i have a bad taste in my mouth i also look to your dog's butt.

If you could bottle that stuff...

:barf:

Glad you guys saw the humor in this. :lol:
I hate to really bash a product and sound like a complete jerk so I tried to lighten it up a bit.

I tried the Flor de Olvia that was in my humidor last night... Unfortunately, I had the same experience PuFf, but no dog so I was left to brushing my mouth repeatedly as I didn't have any lemon juice in the house.

I smoked one of these about a month ago, and I didn't think it was so bad. I am going to revisit it once again, and leave some more comments.

Where have you guys been getting your Flors? I've always bought mine from the local Binny's liquor store w/ a walk-in humi, as they're no more expensive than c.com (base price is less but after tax it's about even) & I get to inspect them before purchase.

The one's I've been smoking have been great for the price. I'd rate them in the high 80s, only because they don't have "wow" flavor like a 90+ stick should. They're good, but not "special". It's hard to tell a difference between the Flor de Oliva maduro & the Series G maduro, and I have no complaints about the rest of the Flor line either. The only problem I ever have with them is the store keeps thier humi at about 70%, so if I don't rest them they don't burn right. A week or two in my humi & they're just great. Good flavor, solid construction, and they're very reliable as far as an even burn & good draw go. I haven't tried the torpedos though. I had a run of plugged Oliva "O" Maduro torpedos that scared me off Oliva torps.

Crap ! I picked up a 5 pack of churchills for $ 7 a couple of years ago and have yet to smoke one. There somewhere in one of the humidors/tupperdors aging away. I've got to stop buying cigars.

I was browsing a cigar catalog yesterday during a smoke and read that the flor de oliva has a sweet cap. I'm gonna go look for them again and hope that it's not true.

I was browsing a cigar catalog yesterday during a smoke and read that the flor de oliva has a sweet cap. I'm gonna go look for them again and hope that it's not true.

This is true for only the Connecticut I believe. I would still rate these as a go-to budget stick despite the sweetened cap.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I finally found my 5 pack of these churchills and smoked one. I thought it was a good stick with some flavor and no sweet cap.

I have smoked a number of these over the years, and have found them to be a pleasant cigar for the price every time!!

Flor De Oliva Gold is a great low cost Connecticut smoke. Mellow and creamy and easy. I order 5 packs on occasion. The wrapper can feel a little like cardboard if you are a chewer, but for the price I quite like them.