For My Dads Fathers Day Gift

Joined Aug 2004
2K Posts | 0+
Chicago Born/Raised. Hollywood CA Resident
Ever since our June Newsletter came out, my dad has been going on and on about the Chicago Chophouse. Everyday he talks about how it must be such a nice place, and after he read how he really wants to go. I took the hint. I'm taking him there tonight.

On fathers day he opened a travel case I gave to him, and inside was a five pack of sticks....and a note saying that the cigars were for a dinner reservation at the Chophouse, today, so and so time etc...

He's like a giddy kid waiting for parents to wake up on christmas morning. I can't wait to take him there, should be a good night, and a great excuse to buy a steak!!

I really enjoy my dad's company, and really look forward to every chance we have together now since I live in the city, and don't get the chance that often.

The funny part was that he said he felt bad smoking the cigars I gave him because they were nice....I swear, if I didn't force him, he'd never smoke the good Stuff!!! Or at least his favorites...

So I'll definately be thinking of you fathers out there when I light up tonight!

Nice gifts Thor. I'm not a father (that I know of :wink: ), but I know what you mean. I've been on my own for several years now and you really do appreciate the times spent with family. It's funny, I'm closer to my dad now than when we were under the same roof!

My father and I were never close, so I envy your relationship Thor.
Enjoy every second with your Dad and keep him well stocked so he is more comfy about lighting up the good stuff. :wink:

My son (6yrs old) means the world to me and I would be the happiest man on earth if my son wants to spend time with me like you are making for your Dad. It's easy now, I'm talking about when he's grown.

I think what you are doing is great Thor. Smoke something special for certain.

me and my dad are not close at all. any time we talk its just "hows the car running?" and "hows the job going? got any better job prospects?" "heres your mother" lol even when they visited up here i hardly talked to my parents at all. we went and did a couple things but durring meals and whatnot they didnt have anything much to say cept for complaining about somthing.

jihiggs:
Complaining is OK. They are communication the best they can. Keep them talking. They will get the message. It might just take some time.
Good job guys. Keep in front of your parents. Keep in front of your kids.
Malone

Rough day in Alabama ... my son has been home for a week on leave from the Air Force and is leaving today. Being deployed to Kyrgystan sometime in September for about 4 months. At least he's not on the front lines like many are, but it's tough to see him go all the same. It never gets any easier.

We did share a drink or two since he's legal age now. He hasn't developed a taste for a cigar yet. Maybe we'll share one next time he's home. He did help me work a little on my coolerdor project, cutting and fitting some spanish cedar.

Speaking of father's day

This year we decided to spend father's day doing something the whole family could enjoy, so we packed up the fam, and headed to Arlington Race Track where I presented my dad w/ the Premier Sampler from Cigar.com (thank you very much).

Would you believe he didn't share? That's ok, b/c I had a Rocky Patel which was so nicely reviewed in a recent Cigar.com Newsletter.

Although I didn't win a race all darn day (thank goodness for $2 bets), it was still time well spent in my book.

Now, what to buy for the 4th of July?

Joel

Macallan said:
Speaking of the front lines, has anyone heard from Ando??

It's been pretty hairy over there the past 2 weeks. I guess all we can do is hope and pray he is well.

We should light one up for Ando Today!

well the dinner was awesome...

We started the night with a walk to the restaurant while enjoying a Davidoff Special R Tubo...when we arrived, we smoked a Cien Anos Corona before dinner with a few drinks...we eventually ordered our steaks, He had a 16oz T-bone, and I enjoyed a 16oz Filet...(I would recommend not getting the mashed potatoes, I have had far better), After dinner we lit up two Opus RDC's and walked to the lake, where we ended up at the W hotel, sitting outside by the lake in rocking chairs, finishing our Opus's. We then head to a little place by my apartment on State and Division, New York Steak house and sat on some couches they have set up outside. There we ended the night with VSG Sorcerer's. The VSG's were an excellent finish...great flavor and well rounded, an awesome break from the up hill body building battle we were going into. Perfect finish, not over the top but amazing...

It was a great night, one of the best I have had with my father in a long time...

I'll have to do this more often....

If anyone ever makes it to Chicago, you'll have to let Macallan and me know...we'll all have to get together for some smokes....