From Bad to Worse to.... nice

Joined Jan 2005
1K Posts | 0+
Chicago
70 degrees today in chicago I could hardly believe it. All day I watched the clock until just before 5 I could take no more and had to slip out early. The boss's door is closed... a meeting... now is my chance I am out the door. I hit the expressway only to find bumper to bumper traffic. It seems everyone else had the same idea i did. I looked on the passenger seat and perked up when I was reminded some new cigars came today, and AVO LE5 (have been waiting of this limited edition release all week) that was paired with a diploma. It brightened my mood with aniticipation. My Fiances parents were out to an early dinner party and the drive to her house from the office is typically only 30 minutes. Living in the city, getting to spend a few hours of R and R in the suburbs in a backyard were there is a nice garden and grass is kind of a treat for me and since no one was home I was looking forward to relaxing. After making my way through the toll the traffic just did not let up. On a nice day the only thing that would compliment the cigars would be some a shishkabob (spelling???) and a six pack of corona. As i get off the highway the comute goes from bad to worse when the exit is closed and I have to take a 30 minute detour. Could things be any worse? Well I just had to asked becuase by the time I got to the grocery store they were all out of shishkabob. On the edge of loosing it I decide to suck it up and pay the 10.00/ lb for a few new york stips. Then things turned around. Was I reading the sign right? They wee on sale. ONLY 4.00/ lb for the best cut of meat in the place. I stocked up and hit the backyard 5 minutes later with the grill going hot. I found a great Frank Sinatral live disk in the cd player and fired up the outside speakers. 6 coronas later the temperature had already dropped below 50 but if you saw me out there in my short sleeve shirt puffing away on the newly arived stogies you would have thought i was on the beach. It was cold but I really did not care. A great end to what was loooking like a bad day :D

The AVO LE5 was nice. Not only did the wrapper look and feel like a thick piece of leather but it had a heavy leather aroma. Nice cigar and the diploma finale made it all worth while.

To see Sinatra live must have been something else, being 25 it was never part of my regular rotation of music until recently. He seemed to fhave made every show different, something special. I listen to a lot of modern music and go to lots of concerts but sometimes cant help but feel like you might as well get 30,000 people together and play the bands CD. Frank really gave the people a show, never playing the same song the same way twice. Anyway this post is getting long and I should stop beofre this starts to sound like a poem. Have a great weekend everyone.

Macallan:
At your young age-I appreciate a person who can understand Sinatra and his music. He was a genius but not the best singer. Quoting Sinatra as close as I can remember, He said" I'd pay to listen to Mel Torme and Sinatra's favorite was Tony Bennett.
Sinatra also liked to listen and see live was Mathis.
Get a few of their tapes which were recorded from the 60's-70's when Mathis,Torme and Bennet were in their voice prime.
Mel Torme was a great crooner. Soft and mellow-same as with a good cigar.
Malone

I'm looking forward to those LE5's also. There was nothing like the smell of Shishkabob when I would get out of the NYC subway after work, now I have to resort to making my own (the west coast is nice and all, but they missed out on a few things...Dunkin Donuts, White Castles, etc...) I've come to realize that no matter how stressful my day goes, it all blissfully melts away with a good cigar and a good single malt.
Enjoy those steaks!

you may have lost white castle but you gained in and out burger

axegod, my PM's have not been working. Seems like a common problem. Did you recieve the cigars I sent last week?

yes, you do have in and out. damn i miss my double-double animal style.

In and Out are some damn fine burgers...You know what? My PM's must not be working either because I sent you numerous replies thanking you...Go figure :dunno: Anyway, thanks again for the samples and I look forward to trying them this coming week.

dont mention it and let me kknow your thoughts on the gray cliff. I cant believe I had to pitch most of that box. :cry:

Macallan

Great post. I could almost feel the agony. I am a native Californian (Los Angeles) and when I go back to the mainland on biz or my wife drags me off on some sort of trip, (and I have to drive at all) the pain is always there in those kinds of commutes.

I have done exactly the same thing -- put a couple of fine cigars in the car where I could see them, and remind myself that the "pleasure principle" is just a few hundred cars away.

cian

Great post Macallan, and nice thread overall. Singers, singers, singers, I could go on and on, as could we all. As for the singers that were mentioned, yes, they were in their prime perhaps in the 60's and 70's, but let's not forget that Sinatra, Mathis and Co. made some monster hits in the 50's. Mathis made Chances Are and It's Not For Me To Say in '57 if I'm not mistaken.

As for cigars, thanks for the tip on the Avo LE5. Another one for Somewhere Over The Rainbow When I Have Money And Can Shop For Cigars Again list. The regular Avo or Avo Classic as it's now called is still one of my all-time favorites, and I've had some nice Avo XO's and Domaines.

Macallan, your post is the type of which I made many of for the three and a half years that I became The Internet's Olympic Silver Medalist Jerk at "another web site." It is good to see posts like this again. I don't have much time for such posts anymore, and I also smoke way less cigars in the colder months because even with proper maintenance medication my asthma walks a tightrope. That's partially because I'm not really properly medicated, as I can only afford to take it once a day instead of twice as prescribed. I also hate taking any medication at all, especially steroidal type medication.

At any rate, I love these kinds of posts, and maybe I'll have some more as time goes by. The writings of the cigar smoking community and their life experiences are some of the most profound, heartwarming, pleasant, and enriching reading around. Real people, real life, and a subculture of America that is still looked at with an upturned nose.

And yes, spring is definitely here in the northern part of the country. Chitown, Noo Yawk Sitteh, I tell ya SpringaMania's runnin' wild, Daddy!!!

The LE5 reminded me most of the domaine but had a flavor all its own. I was serious about the leather comment though, it really felt and tasted like leather in my hands.

Thanks for the kind words and you are right about smoker experiences and quality cigar writing. That is why I enjoyed the cigar.com newsletter so much last time, it really touches on smoking experiences as well as cigar news. I am looking forward to the next one.

Spring, Yes finally!! suppose to be 80 today in Chicago...I'll have to go smoke my Don Carlos at an outdoor Cafe....

I'm getting a great Sinatra set for my birthday, I think it's a compilation of about six cd's, anyway, I'll definately be listening to that while enjoying a few cigars.

supposed to be 54 today, then almost 70 by next week, i really hope the weather man is right. i have been keeping myself from smoking when i would like because i know i dont enjoy it when its cold. all i want is to have a damn cigar in peace and not have to wear gloves!