Cigar Trade Fun and Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined Feb 2006
237 Posts | 0+
Norman, OK
OK, I've finally gotten around to posting this thread. After finding that people want the PIF thread to keep moving along and stay relatively simple, I've decided to start a new thread where we can mess around a bit more.

The rules will be similar to the regular PIF (I even stole some of the text), except you have to win some kind of challenge. When someone wins a challenge, the person that posted the challenge then sends the winner 3 cigars. (not crap but not gold either)

My challenges are math related, but they don't have to be. Guessing games, trivia; anything you think sounds like fun is in.

If you win - you wait 3 no more than 3 days to post a new challenge & you wait 3 weeks before trying to win again.

It seems it could take awhile to win, but being around for awhile
gives the new guys a chance to read, watch & learn.

I've noticed several people have recently posted things in their own threads that could fit in here as well. If you want to play this game, great. If not, no reason you can't post your own challenge thread separately.

Let's have some fun and games!

OK, I’m gonna make this one a bit easier than my last challenge: this one can be solved with high school physics.

A 155 grain (10 g) .40 cal handgun bullet traveling 250 m/s strikes and is embedded in a 2 kg block of wood which is suspended as a pendulum. Assuming that you have a direct hit and that the block moves as a simple pendulum (no twisting about), how high (in meters) does the bullet and block’s center of mass rise above its rest position? (You can also assume that no fragments of bullet or wood are lost in the impact. Take gravity to be 9.8 m/(s^2).)

Once again, the attached word doc “Unlock Me 2.doc” can be unlocked with the answer (rounded to 4 decimal places: x.xxxx) as a password.

This method has actually been used in reverse to determine a bullet’s speed when the block’s maximum height is measured.

Hope somebody enjoys this, good luck everybody!

Attachments

• Bullet and Block.JPG
    Bullet and Block.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 4,725
  • Unlock Me 2.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 103
“I didn’t sleep through all of physics!”

Cmon soup you gotta do better than that

Do i need to show my work? hehe Simple equation

The height equals 1/2 of (the mass of the bullet(10g) times the initial velocity(250m/s) divided by ( the mass of the bullet(10g) plus the mass of the block(2kg)))squared then you divide all of this by the force of gravity(9.8m/s^2)

h=1/2 ( mvo / ( m+M) )^2 / g

h = .5((10*250) /(10+2000))^2 / 9.8 = 0.0789

:soap:

aight teddy, that was pretty quick. PM me your info. I'll make the next one harder when it comes back around to me!

OK were gonna step away from the math and physics and do a simple little riddle. Some of you guys have got to be good with riddles so here goes. No passwords or anything like that if you know it post it.

Eating white is what I mostly do
If quick enough, a fruit and some things blue

When you see pink, sky blue, orange, or red
It would be wise to turn my yellow head

In a dark room with blue walls
I run from the ghosts that roam the halls

What am I?

shoot- I think that's harder than either of the math problems I've posted!

sweet that was fast i thought it would have taken alot longer than that

Congrats spider

Spider, maybe you should spend more time working and not playing video games.............

LOL...cool...oh wait...does that mean I have to come up with a puzzle or something now? :shock: :dunno: :duh:

PS. Bobberific....you didn't get it yet?...have you checked the tracking number? I will not be back in the office till Thursday..let me know if you don't get it before then, and I will call UPS and rattle some cages :twisted:

Oh, and Kevin....
Spider, maybe you should spend more time working and not playing video games.............

remind me of that again around say 3:00 on Thursday?!? :wink:

Spider66 said:
remind me of that again around say 3:00 on Thursday?!? :wink:

Doh!!!! Man I am getting called out tonight! Point well taken...LOL!

Alright, I am no wiz when it comes to riddles, but here goes....

You are in an empty room and you have a transparent glass of water. The glass is a right cylinder, and it looks like it's half full, but you're not sure. How can you accurately figure out whether the glass is half full, more than half full, or less than half full? You have no rulers or writing utensils.

Pretty good one, no real math, just pure logical thinking. I like it.

would it matter if the room wasn't empty? whats the rh and temp of the room? do i need to compensate for evaporation? and what kind of glass is it?

ok ...I'm just being a smart ass :lol:

ok, I am just going to take a stab at it. You tip the glass until the water is ready to drip out. If the water still covers more than the bottom of the glass, you have more than half. If it doesn't fully cover the bottom, you have less than half.

You got it, RichTexan, congrats!! PM me that addy and your preferences, and I'll get it right out to you....Now it's YOUR turn...hope you are better at this kind of thing than I am ..LOL!
~S

I dont know, that was pretty good... I acually went into the other room, got a glass, filled it halfway ( or what I thought was halfway ) and expermented for a few minutes... This is what I do when I am on vacation, with nothing better to do. :D

PM sent

Status
Not open for further replies.