General Announces Cohiba Black

Joined Dec 2004
1K Posts | 0+
Chicago
See below press release.

GENERAL CIGAR UNVEILS COHIBA BLACK

New York, NY—On the heels of the Supreme Court’s landmark ruling which affirmed General Cigar’s exclusive ownership of the COHIBA brand in the U.S., General Cigar is proud to unveil COHIBA® BLACK, a super premium collection that will be available at fine tobacco shops throughout the U.S. beginning in mid-August 2006.

Developed by iconic Cigar Master Daniel Núñez and meticulously handcrafted in the Dominican Republic, COHIBA® Black cigars are adorned with a hearty Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper that is aged on the plant to yield an exceptionally rich, dark and bold leaf. Bound with sun-grown Dominican Piloto Cubano which is aged in tercios for three years, and filled with a blend of hand-selected tobaccos, each also aged in tercios for three years, COHIBA® Black contains Mexican and Dominican filler. An espresso of a cigar, COHIBA® Black cigars boast a characteristic deep color and rich, complex flavor.

According to Bill Chilian, director of marketing for COHIBA Black cigars, “It was a laborious process for Daniel Nuñez to develop a suitable blend to complement the highly successful COHIBA® collection. We believe that in creating COHIBA® Black, Daniel has brought to market an exciting cigar that is destined to be an instant addition to the smoking repertoires of devoted fans of the COHIBA® brand.”

COHIBA® Black is the first line extension of the venerable COHIBA® brand in five years.

Cloaked in an eye-catching, solid mahogany box, COHIBA® Black cigars will be available in four frontmarks.

COHIBA® Black Churchill measures 7” x 49, is packaged in boxes of 25, and will sell at retail for $16.55 per cigar, or $413.75 per box. At 5 ½” x 42, COHIBA® Black Corona cigars will sell at retail for $10.50 per cigar or $262.50 for a 25-count box. Individually protected in elegant crystal tubes, COHIBA® Black Robusto cigars measure 5 ½” x 50, and will carry a suggested retail price of $13.50 per cigar, or $108 for an eight-count box. Rounding out the collection is COHIBA® Black Supremo, a 6” x 54 cigar which will be available for $15.25 per cigar, or $381.25 for a 25-count box.

The COHIBA® line of premium cigars is handcrafted in the Dominican Republic and is a favorite among cigar connoisseurs. In addition to the COHIBA® hallmark line, General Cigar manufactures and markets COHIBA® XV which was introduced in 2001.

About General Cigar
General Cigar Co., Inc., a subsidiary of Swedish Match, manufactures and markets handcrafted cigars for the premium market. Passionate about delivering cigars of the finest quality, General Cigar produces Macanudo®, Partagas®, COHIBA®, Punch®, Excalibur®, Hoyo de Monterrey®, La Gloria Cubana® and several other industry-leading brands, which are sold through tobacconists nationwide. In addition, the company grows its own proprietary Connecticut Shade wrapper tobacco, as well as natural and candela wrapper in the Dominican Republic. General Cigar also operates Club Macanudo®, a cigar bar in New York City. For more information, please visit http://www.cigarworld.com

®COHIBA, Macanudo, Partagas, Punch, Excalibur, Hoyo de Monterrey, La Gloria Cubana and Club Macanudo are registered trademarks of General Cigar Co., Inc.

A little on the pricy side dammm I can almost get Cubans for that price, hahahahaha Enjoy, Vince

I hate top phoo phoo any thing I have not tried, but I am highly suspect of high priced cigars from General Cigar. I could be wrong though.

I guess I'm just a fan of boutique cigars. They have more flavour in my opinion. General Cigar and Atlidis stuff usually does not impress me. For some reason I feel they are trying to hold onto the suckers who came in for the big cigar boom.

I'm leary of a brand new smoke that is priced at over $15 per stick. Putting the Núñez name on it makes it a bit easier to see why they would price it so steeply. I think these are either going to be great and impossible to find or flop and be everywhere.

What brands do you guys like from General Cigar. Just out of curiosity my local shops carry all of their brands and am considering what to buy next from there.

However, my next order will be from cigar.com. I do like the red dot cohiba even though it is pricey. To date it's my favorite cigar. However, I have not had anything else from General Cigar?