George T. Stagg 2005, Final Review and Placement. . . .

Joined Sep 2003
9K Posts | 0+
Puerto Rico/NYC
This is fine, FINE bourbon. It is said to be 16 years and eight months old. You would NEVER in your life believe that 131.8 proof can go down so gentle and smooth.

BUT, the magic ends there. Oh, it doesn't cease to be a fine bourbon, but there is something lacking, and whether it's due to age or something else, it's just not bold enough. The flavor(s) doesn't jump out at you, and as the tasting progresses, it loses, rather than gains or maintains, complexity.

Upon first hitting your palate, a distinct caramel flavor, along perhaps with Bartlett pear juice overlaid with a semi-sweet German white wine will be noticed. A most pleasant head this will impart, and a soothing warmth taking over your body by the third sip. This is indeed a pleasant experience overall, and will prompt fond memories. I cannot cease comparing it to a very smooth, white wine, and this alone makes it a very unique and pleasant bourbon tasting experience.

Where it falls down is that as you hit the last two or three sips, you can notice that the flavor profile has melded together into something rather monotonous, and even the caramel flavor has dissipated into something almost unrecognizable. The whole experience kind of begins to taste like a nice mushrooms in a gentle herb butter dish. I can't really say that's all that bad, but this bourbon does not make it into the distinct and exciting part of the Top 25.

Also, because of the price I paid, about $55 or so with shipping, about as low a price as anyone will ever pay for this bourbon, it falls down a bit and loses points in the race for a place on my Top 25. It took almost the whole bottle over a few weeks, and I would like to place it higher, but reluctantly, it sneaks in at No. 17.

Top 25 Bourbon List

1. A.H. Hirsch Reserve 16 year old
2. Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 20 year old
3. The Classic Cask Single Batch 20 year old
4. Booker's True Barrel
5. W.L. Weller Wheated 19 year old
6. Distiller's Masterpiece I - Cognac Finish
7. Van Winkle Special Reserve 12 year old
8. The Classic Cask Single Batch 18 year old
9. George T. Stagg 2002, 137.6 proof
10. Baker's
11. George T. Stagg 2003, 142.7 proof
12. Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 15 year old
13. Knob Creek
14. Pure Kentucky
15. Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve
16. Old Rip Van Winkle 15 year old
17. George T. Stagg 2005, 131.8 proof
18. Basil Hayden’s
19. Noah’s Mill
20. Henry McKenna 10 year old bonded
21. Rowan’s Creek
22. Jefferson’s Reserve 15 year old
23. Wild Turkey Rare Breed
24. Blanton’s
25. Kentucky Vintage

With The Classic Cask 17 year old currently in the tasting department, stay tuned during the bourbon/American football season, for possible and further changes to this list.

Suggestion... add a couple of drops of water. (Clean water preferably not from the fish tank or commode) 8)

:cryinlaugh: :rotflmao: :cryinlaugh: :mrgreen:

How about from the snake's water dish?

:bolt:

You know, in all seriousness, to Hollow Point's well taken point, I think after him telling me that for years, I've figured out how to articulate a reply. Keeping in mind that Hollow Point is like a personal trainer of whiskey to me, Master Whiskey, 13th Dan, but if I need to put a couple of drops of water in it, the DISTILLERY should have figured that out for me and bottled it at a more palatable proof.

If that's what they're bottling, that's what I'm drinking and rating. For some, it could be Stagg 2005 with a couple drops, for some others it could be five drops. And what kind of water, for some guy maybe Poland Spring, another maybe Deer Park, and another maybe Evian? I'm blond(e) enough, I don't need that headache.

:mrgreen: