Getting started

Joined Jan 2008
2 Posts | 0+
I'm just seriously getting into this wonderful little hobby? lifestyle? something? and I have a question about the humidors I am looking at. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a glass top humidor vs. a regular wooden top? My humi most likely won't be set in direct sunlight, but I'm not sure if the temperature will fluctuate more in a glass top or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Both of my humidors (a 500ct and a 100ct) have glass tops. The 500 has a partial glass front as well. I don't have any issues with temperature or humidity. As long as the seal is good you should be okay.

I think the most important thing you should consider is the size of your new purchase. Go way bigger than you think. WAY BIGGER.

Dustin

NJsmokey said:
Keep any humi out of direct sunlight.

Do you place your humi's in closet or a cabinet? I won't be putting it in directly sunlight, but if I leave it set out at some point during the day the room it's in gets sun through the windows. Should I keep it in a dark place?

I don't think its necessary to put in a closet. You might put it in a bedroom where there is just one window. During the day, just close the blinds or curtains. You could even just throw a towel on it while your away. You won't have any problems by having your humidor out in the open. Plus you'll want to look at it a bunch. You won't want your collection put up in a closet.

Dustin

Dustinl said:
Plus you'll want to look at it a bunch. You won't want your collection put up in a closet.

Dustin

Also let me add that one of the cool things about a glass top humidor is that you get to peek in every once in awhile without having to open the lid. The more you open your humidor, the more your humidification device has to work.

Dustin

I have a walk in closet so I keep my humi's there but out of direct sunlight. Pulling the shades/curtins should do the trick.

Mine all sit in my basement office. I used to have a glass top, but now I am using Tupperware, so the glass is not even an option.