Great Beers

Mmm - beer! I've seen some good recommendations so far.

I have to second the recommendations for:

New Belgium Brewing Company - a Colorado micro brew that can be hard to find east of the Mississippi. I still haven't found any place in PA that has any of their stuff. Fat Tire is their most well known beer, but most of their selections are excellent.

Bell's Brewery - a Michigan microbrewery that has some fantastic offerings. If you like wheat beers, try their Oberon beer - phenomenal!

One of my all-time favorites is The Pennsylvania Brewing Company, located right here in Pittsburgh! An authentic German brewery, they follow the "Reinheitsgebot" - the German beer purity law which limits the ingredients to malted barley (and/or wheat), hops, water and yeast. All of their beers that I've tried have been very good. My favorite is the Penn Dark and the Penn Weizen.

Ever since my stomach issues the only thing I really drink on a regular basis is Guinness. Not that I'm complaining, I love Guinness and if I had to choose only one beer to drink the rest of my life that would be it.

But Fat Tire just made it's return to the Twin Cities and we even got a commemorative label to celebrate it. I've had a few recently and I admit it's great, unfortunately it's the most flavorful beer I can enjoy without having further stomach issues.

Up until about 10 years ago I would say the best beers I drank were the ones I brewed myself. I was into homebrewing hardcore, making 10 gallon all-grain batches that I would then keg. All of them were nice and hoppy and full of flavor. Having 4 beers you brewed at once on tap at a time was a beautiful thing. Unfortunately my body didn't agree, but I survived. I just sold the last of my homebrewing equipment last month to remove any temptation of trying again.

Trent

If you want to continue on the Belgium road try
Rochfort trappist 10 (OMG; so good)
Corsendonk Abby brwon (really good as well)
Both are must tries.

Sounds like Cloudy, cmontgomery, twoputts and I once trod the same path in my beer drinking days. Thumbs up to all, and I think it was Cloudy who said it best with the hundred more he couldn't think of. Me too.

Barcochris said:
cmontgomery said:
I would love to get into home brewing. That sounds like fun!!!

it is really a lot of fun and not a huge cost to get started

I am looking into it. There are so many sites out there. Just not sure which direction to go.

Also can't forget my favorite German beers:

Paulaner Salvator
Paulaner Octoberfest
Have both kicked my a$$ on numerous occasions.

acharpe said:
Most "regular" beers have had no restrictions. I was mistaken on the previous law: the limit used to be six percent. I do love the suggestions. A few of the suggested beers have already been for sale here prior to the repeal of the law.

In a lot of places the name and percentage are related. You can't call it "beer" and have it over x%, over that you have to call it something else. And a lot of micros make "ale" etc so can get away with a higher percentage because of it. Prolly the case there.

Just bought some Konings Hoeven Trappist ales. The only Trappist brewery in Holland.

Got a Dubble, Tripple, and Quadruple.

Just popped the Dubble, great beer with a nice purple tint when I poured witha beautiful head that goes down pretty quick. There are notes of caramel and plue with a plume aftertaste. Just a wonderful beer. Will let you know about the other two when I pop the corks!!

Best to Drink in a Tullip Glass, really let off a nice aroma

My g/f is in Ireland for a couple months and made her visit to the Guiness brewery a couple weeks ago. She mentioned that she sampled a beer called North Star that is the newest product made by Guiness. It's only available in Ireland and she didn't mention what kind of brew it was. Some people have all the luck, I'm sweating my butt off at work and she is prancing around the countryside sampling great beer. :lol:

Anyways, a couple more great beers came to mind:

Celebrator Dopplebock - Germany
Mackeson XXX Stout - England
Arcadia Anglers Ale - USA
Paulaner Marzen Amber - Germany
McEwans Scotch Ale - Scotland

And if you are into Japanese beer, Kirin is a good low cost lager.

T_Nugent said:
Ever since my stomach issues the only thing I really drink on a regular basis is Guinness. Not that I'm complaining, I love Guinness and if I had to choose only one beer to drink the rest of my life that would be it.

Ditto... Guinness is the only widely available beer that my stomach can handle, although I've seen Fat Tire at the local Safeway recently. Fortunately, like you, I think Guinness is great stuff.

Barcochris said:
cmontgomery said:
I would love to get into home brewing. That sounds like fun!!!

it is really a lot of fun and not a huge cost to get started

I have to agree. Homebrew is one of the most fun and addicting hobbies that a person can have. It is very easy to get started and you will be pleased with what you can do in a short time.

If you pass through Texas, pick up a Shiner Bock or a Zigen Bock.
Not the most exotic pick out there, but they sure taste good...

Bloofington said:
You and I really have trod the same path when it comes to beer, that's for sure.

Bloof, do I need to mention that you are a man of great taste? 8)

By the way, I mentioned Samuel Smiths Christmas Ale a few posts ago. I have to correct myself, it's actually Samuel Smiths Winter Welcome and it is probably one of my top five of all time.

I think my favoritye beer is Hoegaarrden Wit. Its a belgin style wheat ale. good stuff.

I do have to put in a good word for Edmund Fitzgerald Porter
from the great lakes brewing co. one of my favorite porters ever.

Im not sure why but for some reason ive been on a big Honey Brown kick. cheap and good.

Shiner Bock, that's the stuff. I was trying to remember it. GREAT beer.

Despite my love of New Belgium brewery, most Begian ales, especially whites, are way to flowery for me. I guess like stouts etc, it's a matter of taste :)

Cloudy, Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome was one of my Top Five as well, no foolin'. Man, what an incredible brew.

I love trying new beers. Now thanks to you guys I have a couple of beers that I have to try and find. Can't believe I missed Duinen Double and Tripples (although I am a fan of the Huyghe Brewery Delerium Tremens and Delerium Noel). And, Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome (which I will have to try and remember and look for this winter).