Great Coffee Formula

G

Some of the older shoes, may know this one. I believe it's about 1880 circa, less the coffee maker & filter. Back then, (I understand).. they just dropped the eggshells into the bottom of the coffee pots.
To brew a great cup of western java...

1. Crush up one inner-washed full eggshell, removing the egg residue, and drop it into the coffee filter.

2. Pour coffee blend on top covering the egg shell.

3. Add a "dash" of salt, and brew.

The eggshells removes most of the floating oils and bitters from the coffee. Great with half and half, coffee mate, or simply black.

Thanks for the recipe. I heard about that somewhere before. Now, for all you frontiersmen/women, you have it straight from Trigger's mouth. As for the tenderfeet out there like me, especially us blonds, I'll be at home with the indoor plumbing and the Freedom Press, looking out at the woods and going, . . .

"It's nice to look at, but I'm glad I don't live in it." :mrgreen:

1: Boil water
2: Add pure ground coffee
3: stir stir stir...
4: pure into cup, hold spoon at the spout to hold back as much coffee grains as possible
5: Man up and drink the coffee
6: Grit is your friend :shock:

Bloofington said:
Thanks for the recipe. I heard about that somewhere before. Now, for all you frontiersmen/women, you have it straight from Trigger's mouth. As for the tenderfeet out there like me, especially us blonds, I'll be at home with the indoor plumbing and the Freedom Press, looking out at the woods and going, . . .

"It's nice to look at, but I'm glad I don't live in it." :mrgreen:

:rotflmao: I couldn't afford the additional until recently, either. Hi-Yo Silver.....away! :rotflmao:

When I was growing up my folks made coffee using a "Vaculator" coffee pot and my father would often add an egg shell and a pinch of salt to the grounds (Folgers IIRC). Given the poor quality of the coffee of this era egg shell and salt could hardly hurt the flavor. I've never felt the need to do anything like this to fresh ground beans I use.

The Vaculator has fallen out of favor. It consists of a coffee pot kettle on the bottom and a bowl with a long funnel spout that is placed on top. The funnel spout has a spring loaded stopper. The grounds go in to bowl. When the water boils in the pot you put the bowl into the pot, a rubber gasket seals the connection so steam pressure forces the water up the funnel spout and into the bowl. Let it simmer for three minutes and turn off the heat. Vacuum draws the fluid back down into the pot, the stopper keeps the grounds in the bowl.

Wow! That was a nice touch of history. It's part of what makes hobbies fun. Thanks djl4570.

I occasionally bring filtered water to 200*, then add three measures of fine ground coffee to it. It then sits for about two minutes, and then simply pour into a cup. As was posted earlier, you may have to 'Man Up' :lol:

DLJ4570, you might be amused to learn (or maybe you already know) that the method you describe is very popular today (you can buy the systems at sweet marias for example) because they are claimed to brew as well as the freedom press without the bad news if you forget to forget the last of the cup.
Switch your method is great, and, better if you rig it so you can pour the 200 degree water thru one of those gold filters.
The other old/ new HOT brewing system is the Technivorm which brews at 200 degrees and uses the #4 paper or gold filters. At $170 you would hope that it will last as long as some users claim. Regards

Oh damn, I just noticed that the part about the press didn't type out...still it does require a bit of 'oh well' when you get to the bottom of the mug/bucket. I have a gold filter with #4 papers, and still get a bit of sediment...of course I grind my beans to 'dust'. No one knows coffee like KAZ though :bow:

KAZ said:
DLJ4570, you might be amused to learn (or maybe you already know) that the method you describe is very popular today (you can buy the systems at sweet marias for example) because they are claimed to brew as well as the freedom press without the bad news if you forget to forget the last of the cup.
I wasn't aware of those but I am not surprised. The one my parents used is probably still serviceable and it was used every morning for for well over 20 years.