Greatest Cake...Ever?

Joined Nov 2007
1K Posts | 2+
The hills and the hollers
A groomsman cake at a friend of my wife's wedding!
The humidor is Cake...the cigars inside, are not!

Attachments

• 100_1849.jpg
    100_1849.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 404
THAT humidor, . . .

is a CAKE?!?!?!?!?!!!???!!

I've seen just about everything The Food Network has to throw up regarding dessert art, including some of the world's most renown decorative cake makers, but that's a masterpiece as good as any I've seen. Amazing, really amazing what some of these dessert artists can do. I know it can't really be done, but forget eating it, freeze it in a museum type glass case, and leave it on the coffee table, so the grandkids can say "this was mah grandmaw and grandpaw's weddin' cake." Now, I know what everyone's thinking, if Bloof is advocating displaying cake rather than eating it, surely the end is near, hee, hee, heee!!!

What a cake. I'm going to keep coming back to this thread just to look at it from time to time. Great post.

They said it was amazing in flavor too. I will have to find out what sticks were in there.

Wow!!! That's an amazing menu of cakes!!! The sushi cake was very interesting. You can eat it folks, but don't expect fish and wasabi, hee, hee, heee!!! Great link. I'll be going there periodically until I've seen all the cakes.

After looking at Duffs cakes I am glad I never went to the pastry side of the kitchen, Give me a pan & A GRILL , dammmm good looking stuff but man I just have no idea how to start some of them !

I know. That's one of the hardest concepts for me to grasp, even though I've seen some of these artistic cake people work on The Food Network. That concept was really brought home by looking at the Clarinet Cake. They didn't just bake a clarinet, they've got it in a case, too!!! How does one even start to figure that out?

you make it in pieces & cover it with fondant icing, that is the color of the item needed, way to much work

Yeah sure, I knew that, what Vince said, riiiiiight!!! I mean, it's as easy as pie, sure!!!

Oh nooooo it ain't, Wilburrrrrr!!! Nothin' like pie, that's for sure!!!

Bloofington said:
Yeah sure, I knew that, what Vince said, riiiiiight!!! I mean, it's as easy as pie, sure!!!

Oh nooooo it ain't, Wilburrrrrr!!! Nothin' like pie, that's for sure!!!

If it was easy I would have learned to do it years ago, I hate to bake , way to much work, you need to measure everything !!!!

I aint no artist but I can cook !hahahaha

vince said:
I aint no artist but I can cook !hahahaha

If you can cook then you are a artist. My first job out of high school was working in a four star restaurant ( http://www.colonysouth.com/ ) I worked for a master chef and this was one of his sayings. My mother taught me to cook growing up but working here I got skills that could not be had in a home kitchen. In addition to the master chef Felix Acivado we also had a German chef Andre who I also learned much from. I have lost me resistance to heat that one gets while working in a kitchen but I have retained much of what I learned and still have the knife skills to prove it.

I grew up in my Grandmothers kitchen, by the time I was 12 I was doing Saturday & Sunday mornings short order, eggs to order, ham,bacon, french toast ,pancakes, Sausage & home frys , an ocasional oatmeal or cream of wheat , biscuts & gravy came later , slap it on the plate & send it out, stack the pancakes high & keep the coffee going, lots of home frys & toast with every order , I graduated to dinners by the time I was 15 & was making the soups & sauces , she sold the place when I was 17 & was going to quit school to take it over, but she & my parents said NO way finish school, so by the time I graduated High school the new owner of the place added a bar & i just didnt fit in when i was just out of school, so thats when i went to the country club to as souce chef & stayed there till I enlisted in the Navy ....... 40 years in the kitchen it is time to retire , still not an artist