green spots

Joined Sep 2006
307 Posts | 0+
Morgantown, WV or Fort Lee, NJ
So I was looking in my humidor today and I noticed some green spots on a C.com blue label. I've had mold before on other cigars and this doesn't look like any mold I've seen before. The green spots look like they are in the wrapper of the cigar. There's no fuzziness to them. Is this mold?

I'm quarintining the cigar for now. Is it a goner?

I read somewhere recently that those spots are the result of holes in the cloth that is put over tobacco as it grows. They are basically sun spots. Some tobacco is covered as it grows, and holes in the covering allow the sun to get right through. If those spots were there when you got the cigar, I bet that's what it is. If it just appeared, it is not sun spots and I don't know what to tell you.

You are safe. Discolerations in the wrapper are quite common. If moisture beads form on the leaf during curing, the spot will not cure (turn from green to brown). This is also at times a natural byproduct of curing depending on the seed the leaf comes from although that is not the case here since the Blue Label is Connecticut seed which rarely has this happen. Most often you see it with Habano Seed wrapper.

Bottom line is you are A-OKAY to light up and mix with other cigars.

Alex and Bigcat

thanks for the quick response, I guess I never noticed them there before

I can't say that I would agree with that article. the spots wouldn't remain green if they were exposed to sun - they would in fact be darker than the rest of the tobacco. I think the green is a result of a natural bleaching of the tobacco leaf, from things such as dew or water drops. At least that is what makes sense to me...