Hatchetman's Reviews...

Joined Sep 2007
626 Posts | 1+
In my Mack truck somewhere in a Chicago suburb smo
These are the reviews of Hatchetman's experiences with his smokes, complete with pictures linked from my website CigarStudent.com (at this time under construction [11/6/07]). I'm new to the cigar review realm, so be gentle....and enjoy. :wink:

CAO L’Anniversaire Cameroon Belicoso

Body: Medium
Time: 1 hour 10 min.
Wrapper: Cameroon
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Available at Cigar.com

Pre Light: Very good draw, with a taste of cocoa powder. Wrapper is free from crinkle, defects, and zero water spots. This cigar has a wonderful box press to it, making it rectangular, with the band facing a long side.

Light: The smoke starts out slightly spicy that eventually mellows into a peppery texture. About an inch in, the taste gives way to a buttery/creamy flavor. The sensation on the tongue is salty and bitter, but those tastes are not dominating. Refer to this article. A few inches in the smoke is spicy through the nose, but not on the pallet.

(I made a grave mistake with these pics, poorly lit on bright background. These will improve, but for now I pointed out the ash)

[img=left]http://www.cigarstudent.com/images/CAO%20L_Anniversaire%20Cameroon%20Belicoso/0404.jpg[/img]

At this point the taste is buttery/creamy and the sensation on the tongue is now balanced. The smoke now offers a slight nutmeg taste combined with cocoa and a hint of almond. The ash fell a couple puffs later, and the cigar had a delicious finale.

[img=left]http://www.cigarstudent.com/images/CAO%20L_Anniversaire%20Cameroon%20Belicoso/0101.jpg[/img]

Now offering smooth cocoa, butter/cream, with a hint of almond, almost like pure natural homemade peanut butter. Not a harsh or bitter finale at all...very well made cigar that can be smoked patiently with a perfect burn.

Box buy?: Absolutely. This cigar is one of the finest Cameroon smokes I have ever had, and will be changing my favorites accordingly.

I haven't had one of these in a few months. So as far as the flavors, I am not sure. But I know it was a great smoke that was creamy with tons of thick smoke.

I second this as a great smoke and a must buy.

the camacho havanna line is one of my favorite "everyday" smokes

light on the wallet. heavy on taste.

Gurkha Vintage Shaggy Toro

Cut with a punch, and draw was perfect...not loose and airy...and not even firm...just...perfect. I stored this shaggy foot at 65% rh in the celo.

Pre light smell of hay and barnyard.
Pre light puff is classic tobacco taste, much like famous American brand chaws.
Lighting was a bit different since there is no wrapper first 1/2-3/4 in of the cigar. Lighting reminded me of lighting pipe tobacco, and the first draw on lit tobacco without a wrapper tasted of classic natural cigarettes.

Make note: I haven't even taken 2 puffs on this cigar, and K. Hansotia has taken me on a tour and a flashback to all the tobacco I have used in my life...truly not an accident...as the smells and tastes were exact. The beginning of this cigar is purposefully designed to be a tour of tobacco...and it does it well...it captures, displays, and presents different avenues of enjoying tobacco...and then it turns out to be a cigar...very clever presentation....using sight, smell, taste, and even lighting it like pipe tobacco...excellent form Mr. Hansotia...

The start of the cigar gets rolling now...as the wrapper begins its journey to my punch cut. As I draw it closer, the smoke starts to taste of vegetation. A dry hay or leaves, or woody taste. The texture of the smoke in my mouth is gritty, and the taste of tea has come up.

The middle of the cigar is good, as the wrapper burns perfectly. A slight hint of caramel rears its head. The smoke is woody and more and more toasty. Approaching the band in a few inches, the smoke starts to settle in for the finale. I remove the band at this point, and successfully leave the wrapper intact.

The end of this cigar begins to introduce a more spicy taste. Hints of caramel and smacks of chocolate are on the forefront of the taste, with some spices creeping in. Clove, cinnamon. The aroma matches the spices at this point, and reminds me of Clove cigarettes. The finale is hear and the cigar bellows thick rich chocolaty smoke with a hint of spice. Fermentation through the nose...similar to a whiskey.

Medium Body overall...never overpowered, even when I pushed the burn, the smoke was tasty, and not hot or harsh.

Box Buy? For sure...I find this cigar to be deliberately clever. I enjoyed the journey it took me on, and the tastes were pleasant. I would by a box of these.

Re: Gurkha Vintage Shaggy Toro

Cut with a punch, and draw was perfect...
Loved the review!

Tonight I smoked a Romeo y Julieta Viejo, R, Maduro. I wish I had more time to fully review, but I don't with all the family being home and such. Was a good build and a beautiful taste. 8.8..good good great! I'm pretty intoxicated so i can't be trusted..but very very good flavor with tons of white smoke.

(aged in my humi for about a month)