Help humidity low

Joined May 2007
22 Posts | 0+
My humidity has dropped to around 48 but fluctuates to the upper 50's every once in a while. I have a diamond crown humidifier and its is filled. This just happened all of a sudden. It was working fine before now. Has anyone had this problem or know what to do?

I had issues with my humidity in the past. I believe I was not refilling my humidifier enough. when I had this problem I just placed my cigars in tupperware with a humdiy source (a smaller piece off tupperware with a papertowel and some solution). while in the tupperware you cigars will came back up since there is no wood to absorb the moisture. just do a search you have to bring the humidty up slowly so that you dont crack the wapper on the cigars by having them swell. i then had to reseason my humidor. I found that my problem was a analog hygrometer, I now use digital. while you cigars are in the tupperware you need to find the cause of your problem. Such as the humidor was not properly seasoned, not keeping up with adding distilled water or a bad seal on your box. also make sure you salt test your hygrometer. Hope this helps soor fo such a long post.

I agree with Kevin, what kind of Hygor and is it salt tested?

Also have you checked for seal? and have you added a lot of cigars recently? Were has the Rh been in the past?

yeah i salt tested and it came up 78. No same number of cigars that it has been working with. No i haven't checked the seal how would i do that. and its digital.

Two ways that I know of.

Place a flash light in the humidor and go in a dark area see if you can see light.

Use a dollar bill and place it in the seal area and close the humidor and see if it is easy to pull out.

I would also re test the Hygrometer.

If the hydro is a year old replace the battery. when the battery was getting weak in mine it started to give crazy readings

i thinks its reading fine. My cigars are becoming dry is how i know the humidity is low. i think the seal might be the problem but it has been working fine about 10 months and it just started acting up. can i fix it?

I read that putting the box in a sealed bag and checking the humidity was a good check. If it keeps the rh humidity in the bag and not without the bag the seal is bad for the box. Fixing it? Thats a question for the pros.