Help me with my humi

Joined May 2006
34 Posts | 0+
Alabama
I got a humidor for christmas ,and after it was properly seasoned it was running about 72 - 75%. But all of a sudden it has started to run 75-80%. What could be the problem, and is such a high humidity bad for my cigars.

Hello sir,
welcome aboard!

My first question for you would be...
How are we measuring this humidity, and is that instrument verified to be accurate?

How many cigars are in this humi at the moment, and what is the claimed storage capacity of this humi?

It is a 25 - 30 ct humi and it is an analog hyrdrometer. Also it has in fact been seasoned and salt tested. After the salt test it read 72 and there are only 4 cigars in there at present.

get a digital hygrometer.

...and a bigger humi (if you plan on sticking around here you will need it)
...and more cigars.
the more cigars you keep in there the more stable the RH will be.

OK, so your hygrometer is reading low to begin with...

My opinion is to load some smokes in there. They will absorb the over humidifiaction, and the box should stabilize. You could open the lid now to bring the RH down, but when you add smokes in the future, you'll have the reverse problem.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I'm planning on upgrading very soon, but it was a present from a friend so I can't complain. Also I'm ordering some more sticks tomorrow any suggestions.

Thats 10-4 thanks. I have always wondered about 5 Vegas because I have seen mixed reviews on them, but I will try them thanks.

RGalyon0911 said:
it is an analog hyrdrometer..

Analog never work right -
you can test them every week & they will read different.
If you really want to keep a humidor get a digital -

i think the type A are the best... but there are a few that think that the limitadas are better.

....or maybe the gold if you like a milder cigar...
such a hard choice

eh... buy em all