help save my smokes.

Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts | 0+
California
I have noticed something with my cigars. When I have them in my humidor for a couple of weeks they are hard to take pulls off of. I don't get the nice big plumes of smoke that using comes with smoking a cigar. example: I just smoked a Bolivar cigar that I got from Big smoke las vegas this last year and each time I took a puff it took me like 3-4 pulls just to get a nice big puff. The first 2-3 were always really lite like i wasn't getting any. What could this be from? My humidor reads 64-65 humidity and 69-71 degrees. Any ideas?

I am using the cigar.com 50/50 solution.

emeiser, IMHO your sticks are too wet. I recommend using RH beads at 65% humidity and see how that works. I had alot of trouble when I first started smoking and was keeping my RH at 70%. Hope this helpd a little. I know how fustrating it can be to regulate RH.

They could be over humidified or since these are handmade once it awhile you get a plugged one. Only be concerned if more than one stick smokes that way. 65% is good, I found that mine smoke better since I stopped tring for 70%. It does sound like it is over moist though, have you salt tested your hygro? Is it Digital? How big is your humi? This will make sure we give you the best info.

Ill be honest with you, and I know someone will disagree...but I have been totally disappointed in Bolivar cigars for the very reason you are...super tight draw, could be just a phase that went for a few runs of them, I don't know, but I won't order them again...

My humi is a 600+ capacity. My hydrometer is digi and I did salt test it and it was one degree under what it was supposed to read. A salt test is supposed to read 75 rh right? Well it read 74 rh.

You have to learn the zones mine is different at all levels. The bottom is 70 the middle is 66 and the top is 63. I plan on putting in a fan to circulate the air later to see if I can keep the levels more even. This is one open box with wire shelves so air can flow but the higher the humidity the heaver the air so the lower it goes.

high humidity was my first thought too.

however, I am going to give a different opinion.

sometimes i find that if i use a double guillotine i dont take enough off. (especially on torps)

the draw is then hard and i have to do what you are doing: take 3-4 draws to get the same smoke as one usual "puff"

i could be way off, but someone had to say something different.

This goes back to feeling your smokes.
Lightly rolling the cigar between you fingers to see: if they are tight, dry or damp.
There is often a knot just around where the band is.

So how do they feel?

What is PG? Is that the solution I am using? What should I use then? Should I use oasis?

emeisner said:
What is PG? Is that the solution I am using? What should I use then? Should I use oasis?

PG is PolyGlycol. and it is the 50/50 that you are using. The problem with it is the PG does not evaporate so you end up with a loaded Credo that can not hold more water.

Dustinl said:
emeiser, IMHO your sticks are too wet. I recommend using RH beads at 65% humidity and see how that works. I had alot of trouble when I first started smoking and was keeping my RH at 70%. Hope this helpd a little. I know how fustrating it can be to regulate RH.

Beads work great for me and I think most guys are under the same opinion. As Barcochris said, the PG does not evaporate. I would use distilled water instead.

DL

So I can just put distilled water in my humidor? For some reason I was thinking I needed to have the PG solution.

As Barcochris said, the PG does not evaporate. I would use distilled water instead.

DL[/quote]

Distilled water works best. Have you considered beads? My fingernails were bloody stumps before I started using them.

DL

Where can I get some good beads? Cigar.com doesn't seem to sell them. Then thats it. Promise no more questions :lol:

emeisner said:
Where can I get some good beads? Cigar.com doesn't seem to sell them. Then thats it. Promise no more questions :lol:

You are welcome to ask me questions anytime you want, my friend. These guys helped me out when I was having the same problems. Beads are relatively inexpensive. I don't think I can post links but google RH BEads. There are two companies that manufacture/carry the beads and both offer great customer service. Heartfelt and cigarmony (I apologize to the moderators if this wasn't allowed.) Check these out.

Again, ask all the questions you want. Thats why we are here.

Dustin

thank you Dunstin. Because of you...I stay cigar sane! I am getting some now. Hopefully this will solve all my cigar problems.

Well I just got some beads. Well I ordered them. But they are a comin'. Thanks for help everyone. Hopefully I dont hose this up. I might be back on here asking how to set up the darn things but I think its pretty easy.

emeisner said:
I might be back on here asking how to set up the darn things but I think its pretty easy.

step one: put in container
step two: add distilled water (only)
step three: place in humidor.

i hope you dont need help with that.