Hmm, cheap may NOT be terrible.

Joined Jul 2004
2K Posts | 0+
Southern AZ
Bought some Captain Black Gold today, smoked some while cooking. Not terrible, flavor was faint, but not bad. Couldn't get anything else, had to buy from Safeway.

What you might want to consider is buying C&D tobacco as bulk by the lb. or so and some mason jars. Just fill the jar, put the lid on, and find some place out of the sun and kind of cool to keep them. Then you'll have some getting some age on it till you smoke it.

Sam

One thing I want to do when I get my political payoff check is to get a couple of pounds of C&D, some 972, and maybe some more 2 ounce samplers of others.
About the humidifier in the mason jar you sent - how long are they good for, can they be recharged, where do you come by them? Very cool stuff.

I didn't know there was one in there. The Grey Ghost/Nightcap mixture I got from a guy who sent me a package similar to the one I sent you. It was in a plastic bag and I just dumped it all in the jar.

I wouldn't worry about the humidity with the mason jars. They are pretty air tight and the humidity souldn't escape. They will keep for years.

This is from Greg Pease:

Q: What's the best way to store tobacco for aging?

A: Ideally, tobacco should be left in its original sealed tin, and stored in a cool, dry place. It's important to realize that storage in plastic bags and the like, while allowing the tobacco to "meld," will prevent the true aging process. Plastic bags are permeable to small molecules. (Water, while not a very large molecule, is polarized, and has a hard time penetrating the barrier formed by the plastic.) If you can smell the contents through the bag, you're losing flavor and aroma! Mason jars, bail-top jars and so on are good candidates for long term storage, as long as you can resist the urge to open them to "check up" on what's happening. Aging tobacco must be left alone, with no gas exchange allowed. Once an aged tin is open, the contents should either be smoked relatively quickly, or transferred to a jar with a good seal.

Sam

Ok, how long should a good tobacco be stored before smoking it? Six months, a year, or variable? :?

It depends. It tends to get better with age, but if you like it as it comes, somke it when you get it. I usually buy a little at a time to find something I like. Then I get several tins of blends I really like just in case that they stop production of that blend. You don't have to age it at all if you don't want to though. I smoke small bowls, and it takes me a while to finish a tin, so mine usually end up with some age anyway, but it isn't something that I fret over.

Sometimes you'll find some that already has some age on it. A while back, I came across 4 tin of Cairo from June 2000. Let me tell you that it is AMAZING.

Pipe tobacco, if stored properly, has a shelf life of decades, so don't worry about it going bad.

Check this out. Great info. http://www.glpease.com/FAQ.html