Homebrew for the Midwest Sitdown

Joined Jun 2006
183 Posts | 0+
Kalamazoo, MI
Today was brew day for a summer wheat beer for the Capt BBQ. All grain wheat beer. With protein rests at 115 and 125 and final mash at 152. Also added 4 lbs of honey to boost Original Gravity to 1.062, so should finish a little above 6% ABV--a little higher than I had planned for a party, so I will have to warn consumers.

This was my first time with mult-step infusions, but the calculations in John Palmers book were easy to follow. Only one mishap, the hose clamp on the immersion chiller outlet came off immediately and the water was warm!

I used dry yeast and a starter and the lag time was real short--see below. I will have this in a 5 gal corny keg for the party and hope it turns out as well as it looks today.

Attachments

• humi 027 (300 x 400).jpg
    humi 027 (300 x 400).jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 105
Beautiful. I love the technical talk, too. I'm fascinated by all the science, but I have to admit, the only thing I know about that aspect is the people who do it at home. I just enjoy drinking the results!!! As for the 6%, don't worry, that's not too strong compared to what most people are drinking. The headache inducing American pisswater corporate beers are usually around 5%. Now, if you ever do an 8.5% double bock, by all means, . . .

WARN THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD!!!

Hee, hee, heee!!!

I don't know John, looks like that batch may have turned bad. Better bring it to the next cigar society meeting and I will see that it gets disposed of properly.

Markus59 said:
I don't know John, looks like that batch may have turned bad. Better bring it to the next cigar society meeting and I will see that it gets disposed of properly.

Markus, are you coming to the sit down this year?

Wouldn't miss it Capt, if there is anything you need help with let me know, I'll be glad to help out any way I can.