Homemade strawberry wine...

Joined Jun 2007
10 Posts | 0+
Minnesota
anybody have any secret ingredients they add before bottling? I'm trying to lightly sweeten some before I bottle, but I still end up with a tart aftertaste. I know this is a dry wine, but I figure someone would know how to tone it down a wee bit. :oops: :lol:

You got to add sugar. Unless you have a tried and proven reciepe it is a trial and error process. Good luck ! If you have a beer/wine making store close see if they have a small paperback book about wine making called , I believe Making Wine, it has a picture of a glass of red wine on the cover. The important chapter for you right now is in the back of the book. If you find the right book it will have a chapter on emergency wine making, or what to do when you end up with a unexpected pile of fruit and want to convert it to wine. It has a number of receipes for various types of wine and gives you a chance at getting the correct amount of water and sugar to add to get the results you are looking for.
If you have all ready made the wine and it is too dry to drink, turn in into a brandy. I did that one year with 30 gals of peach wine that was way to dry. Use the gal plastic gal milk jugs to freeze the wine. What does not freeze, depending on the temperture of your freezer, is much more drinkable than what you started out with. Again, Good Luck!

Well, here's where is gets interesting. You can try table sugar. The only problem is that you might not know what that was made from. Cane, beets, corn, etc. So, each dfferent sugar may turn our different.

Wine making stores sell products to sweeten wines. They too contain different sweeteners. One popular product is glycerin. Glycerin is used in many commercial wineries. It is sweet, but is more of a buffer.

Sit down with your chosen sweetening products - let's say glycerin and sugar. Start out with six partial glasses of wine. Add small amounts to a glass untill you get what you are looking for. Keep adding, drop by drop, and you will find you can "dial" the flavor in better that way.

Don't forget to stabilize after you sweeten.

My grandmother in her heyday made wine from anything. I will ask my mom if she has gmoms recipe book.