How do you feel aboout Jim Beam Black

Joined May 2006
34 Posts | 0+
Alabama
Tried some Jim Beam Black the other night and it was very good in my opinion. Was smooth and claimed to be aged for 8 years. Has anyone else tried this.

When Jim Beam Black was first released about five years ago, it was 7 years old and 90 proof. About three years ago it was rereleased at 8 years old and 86 proof. This was the one I tasted at Beekman's Wines and Spirits in Midtown Manhattan, an event hosted by Fred Noe. I found it to be very nice, and if Jim Beam Black were still to hold a ranking with me, it would be about halfway down the list of 78 bourbons I've tried in my life, not a bad position at all. Jim Beam Black also sells for a pretty nice price most of the time.

It does have a very nice price. I live in AL and our alcohol taxes are rediculously high. It is about 30 bucks for a 5th. What is your list of bourbons.

I'm sorry you have to pay so much for Jim Beam Black. That's an outrageous price, at least five bucks more than one should pay to walk out with a fifth of it.

My Top 25 bourbon list can be found in the "Quoting Reagan" thread. Anything that has dropped out of the Top 25 does not rate a placement, but since there's only 10 bourbons that I hate, and about four or five that I'm indifferent about, that leaves well over 60 that I'd be happy to drink just about any time.

Let me know if you're able to get stuff shipped in from web sites, and I'll put down my favorite web sites, with comments on each about selection, shipping charges, etc.

Actually, I just checked the "Quoting Reagan" thread, and my newest Top 25 list is actually in the "1792 Ridgemont Reserve" thread.

Thanks. You are a very wise man when it comes to bourbons. Also sadly no you can't ship any alcohol to AL. I assume it came from the moonshining days seeing as how the law also states that you can't cross state lines with it. Which really bites. Thanks though I will have to check the local liquor store and see if they have any of those. What price range are we talking for most of those. You know some of us are still in college and on a budget.

Wow, price range on my whole Top 25!!! :shock: :sm_angel:

How about pick a choice few and we'll start from there?

Bloofington said:
Wow, price range on my whole Top 25!!! :shock: :sm_angel:

How about pick a choice few and we'll start from there?

Lets go with 1, 3, 5, 9

Do not buy my No. 1 bourbon. I got used to "walk-out" prices (inclusive of tax/shipping) much lower than anything you'll see advertised today. Because there is not much left, retailers are taking advantage of the dwindling supply to charge as much as possible. Also, about two and a half years ago, I heard a rumor that something had "happened" to it, that some of it had gone bad. This had something to do with a possible "turning" of the whiskey due to excessively long storage in a stainless steel holding tank. Other theories abound.

IF, and it's a big if, you can find a bottle that you can pay a "walk-out" price of no more than about $55-60 for, you might want to take a chance. Keep in mind that further to the rumor I mentioned above, the last time I ordered any was about two years ago. I got three bottles from my favorite web site, and one of them was "bad." It tasted like I had turned my back in a bar, and someone dumped water in my whiskey. If you can find the right price, and are willing to take a chance, just keep my last experience in mind.

No. 3 - go to Shopper's Vineyard on the net. Best price, especially when they're having a sale. The price you'll see now is about the lowest you're going to find, although it was even lower a month or so ago when I ordered a bottle from them in a shipment of various items. If you look hard enough, you'll never have to pay a "walk-out" price of more than $80, although many pay $80-90 willingly.

No. 5 - go to Binny's on the net. No matter where you go, try not to pay a "walk-out" price of more than $80, although you shouldn't have to settle for paying more than $70.

No. 9 - Hard to find, as the 2006 release is out, although Witty's Wine on the net has it in their Small Batch Bourbon section. The key is the 121.9 proof. The 129.9 proof is the new 2006 release, which I haven't tried yet. For the 2005 release, try not to pay more than a "walk-out" price of $60, although it can be had for less.

Always keep in mind when ordering on the internet that shipping charges do not spread out equitably until you hit at least three bottles on the order. This does not mean you have to order three bottles of the same thing, just make sure your order totals at least three bottles. After about four bottles, shipping charges go way down, so the more you order, the less you get banged on shipping.