How fast should a cigar be smoked?

Joined Mar 2006
204 Posts | 0+
Visiting in Pheonix
Rule of thumb, how long should a robusto cigar last? If it last only 25 or 30 min. does that mean I am smoking it too fast?

Does it get bitter?

I try to keep my puffs down to one per minute. If you smoke it too fast it will get hot, releasing tars, making it bitter.

*edit* It takes me an hour even an hour and a half to smoke a robusto.

There is no steadfast rule. I smoke a robusto in about the same time you do but sometimes I feel it is too fast. If you are smoking to quickly, you will know becuase the head of the cigar will quickly become too hot and you will find that the cigar becomes bitter about 1/2 way through. I find that the slower you smoke a cigar, the further down you can smoke it and enjoy it. IMHO

I'm with Alex - I tend to smoke a robusto in about 45 minutes unless I really try to smoke it slower. It definitely tastes better for a longer time if you do that. If you smoke outside though, a breeze can make the cigar burn faster and uneven - so you have to work it a bit more.

It also depends on the tobacco. Some Churchills will last an hour, others will last around two. It depends on the cigar, although certain rules of thumb may generally prevail. There is slow burning tobacco, and less slow burning tobacco.

I am getting to the point where I don't like to smoke outside because the cigar starts to burn uneven and starts to taste bad. I smoke in my garage unless my wife is out of town then the whole house is mine.

...until she gets home and reminds me. :roll:

Robustos usually last around 45 minutes I guess.

Bloofington said:
It also depends on the tobacco. Some Churchills will last an hour, others will last around two. It depends on the cigar, although certain rules of thumb may generally prevail. There is slow burning tobacco, and less slow burning tobacco.

some cigars are also packed tighter than others, which results in a slower burn.

A robusto can last me easily an hour or slightly over, a churchhill is a good two hour smoke for me.

That seems fast to me but it depends on the tobacco and roll. I usually smoke a robusto in a little less than an hour. I try to keep my draws to 1 or 2 every minute or so.

I would say 25-30 minutes for a robusto is too fast. Try smoking your cigars slowly; as slow as possible. This will do two things; make the last longer, and make it taste better. It also won't burn as "hot". I use to smoke my cigars too fast until one day I decided to try the slow approach. It was noticibly better! You might want to give it a try and make your own determinations.

Robustos last me about 30-45 minutes. But I think it also depends on the cigar. I've had some slow-burning robusto's lasting me 1 hour of pure pleasure.

I take no more than 1 SLOW draw per minute. I like to let the cigar cool down before taking another draw.