How important is temperature?

Joined Feb 2006
285 Posts | 0+
So is how important is temperature in the humidor? I know not to get it above 80 degrees or the little larvae will kill my sticks, but is it ok if it gets down to 66 or 68 degrees as long as my humidity is in the 65 to 68% range?

Thanks for the help,

Cutter

Yes, and forget about 80 degrees. Try not to let the temperature get above 73 degrees. Otherwise, you're doing fine.

What you are talking is actually called Relative Humidity. It is the percent of moisture the air/atmosphere is holding at a given temperature.
The rule for air is the higher the temperature the more moisture it will hold.
For a given amount of moisture, the higher the temperature the lower the relative humidity will be. To maintain 65% RH at 65 degrees F take less moisture than 65% RH at 75 Degrees F.
If it is 50 F outside and 45% RH, then your heating system heats the air inside to 70 F the RH inside may drop to 25% or lower (the relationship is not linear).
The "IDEAL" condition for cigars was 70 deg - 70%. A lot of us now keep our cigars at 60 - 65% RH and in coolers at 50 to 60 degrees. This requires less "moisture" , doesn't let the beatles hatch, and keeps the cigars in excellant condition..

Can some one explain to me a little more about the beatles or larvae that was mentioned?

Bobberrific said:
Basically, there can be tobacco beetle eggs in your cigars now. !

ya................ where do you think all the "creamy" taste comes from

Bwhahahahaha

This is one thing I have never received a good answer on:

How common are tobacco beetle eggs? Is it rare, somewhat rare, common, very common, extremely darn common, or 100% you got beetles?

Carduus said:
This is one thing I have never received a good answer on:

How common are tobacco beetle eggs? Is it rare, somewhat rare, common, very common, extremely darn common, or 100% you got beetles?

Very Common!

Eeeek! I live in Tucson. 100+ temp in the summer. What can I do to keep my humidor's temp down?

The guy that sold me one said, "You have A/C, right?" I'm sorry but, I'm going to spend all that money cooling the whole house just to keep the cigars cool. Perhaps, I'll buys another cooler to store the desk tops and keep them in the closet in the center of the house.

Are there any tricks? Is there a mini-cooling unit I can put in a cooler?

Brenda said:
Eeeek! I live in Tucson. 100+ temp in the summer. What can I do to keep my humidor's temp down?

The guy that sold me one said, "You have A/C, right?" I'm sorry but, I'm going to spend all that money cooling the whole house just to keep the cigars cool. Perhaps, I'll buys another cooler to store the desk tops and keep them in the closet in the center of the house.

Are there any tricks? Is there a mini-cooling unit I can put in a cooler?

There are Temp controlled humidors!
I saw info on a kit to add in one - I'll do some digging.
Funny I have AC in the room my cigars are in -
the rest of my house stays pretty cool
(Castle are just Cool naturally)
But my cigars are in a room with ac so I don't need to keep the entire house at 65"

If you ever see someone smoking a cigar like a flute, fingers all over the cigar, he is covering all the beetle holes. :lol:

Great! I’m going to see if I can get some to hatch.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:twisted:

Attachments

• cigarette_beetle05_thumb.jpg
    cigarette_beetle05_thumb.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 100
  • cigarette_beetle03_thumb.jpg
    cigarette_beetle03_thumb.jpg
    826 bytes · Views: 98