How long to dry out?

Joined Jul 2006
285 Posts | 0+
Chicago burbs
Looking for some advice or previous experience. How long can a cigar sit outside a humidor, before it should be returned to it?

For example, lets say I take a stick out in the morning, put it in my shirt pocket and forget about it. Generally how long would said stogie keep its smoking goodness before I should consider returning it to my humi.

Thanks

dd

Get a otter box. You will never be with out it again. You can keeeps ciagrs in there for a while, and never have to wirry about them getting hurt.

I find that it depends on two factors

1. The Climate - If you are in parts of Luisiana you dont even need a humidor. This is why in Cuba and many other cigar producing countries, no one has a humidor, the outside climate is always ideal. If you are at elevation in Colorado, I would say you have about 24 hours.

2. The cigar and the tobacco. Some tobacco holds moisture better than others. Perhaps the most notorious for losing moisture is the Camacho Corojo tobacco. I have left those out of my box for a matter of hours and watched them dry out. FYI, if you are a fan of these, you can request them in Cello from some vendors. Cigar.com only sells them in cello for the regular line. This is a major help in keeping corojos in top form.

here in the Pocono's (at this time of year in my house)
a cigar can sit out for 2 days before it will break apart when I smoke it.
Maybe even 3 or 4 days depnding on the cigar.