How to Punch Cut?

Joined Aug 2007
637 Posts | 0+
I just recently got a cheap punch cutter to try it out. I am pretty happy with it so far but I have some questions. I found that when
I twist the cutter it seems to work best. Does anyone else find this to be true or is it my cheap cutter? I smoked all the way up to a 60 ring guage with this punch, I have seen mention of a larger punch. What size guage do you guys use the larger punch? Plus any other tips you guys that have been using this type of cutter can offer would be great. I just noticed that I was using alot of presure the first time or two until I began twisting the cutter. Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance for the help.

long post? where?

i have always twisted my punch cutter.

all knives have microscopic serrades on them. this is why you aer more apt to cut yourself on them if they are moving and not sitting still. Its also why when you use a chef's knife to cut a carot into disks you rock and slide, you dont "chop"

... this is also why a double guillotine is curved or angled

when you twist the puch cutter it takes advantage of the microscopic serrades and it makes the task simple (and you have less of a chance of crushing the cigar)

i also make sure to lick the cap and all that.

ive used the punch up to a 60 ring and as small as a 42... i think.

punch

If you lost your punch or don't have a cutter, grap a pencil, rip the eraser out and it makes a perfect makeshift punch :wink:

I have also found that in addition to getting the cap a little moist that the punch seems to do much better if it is only turned one direction instead of back and forth.

I switched from a punch cutter to a V cutter. On certain smokes my punch would crack the cigar. Wetting the end helps this.

I love using a punch! I will moisten the head then punch twisting back and forth. I love the neatness of the punch and have never had a draw problem as a result. I use a Xikar 007 and will eventually get the 008.

Travis, I'll have to try twisting in one direction.

DL