hoyo de monterrey

Joined Apr 2006
2K Posts | 1+
on the grass
What do you think of the brand?
I’ve seen several positive reviews but after searching this forum I can’t find posts about them to get more "real" opinions or thoughts.

I have had two robusto's of theirs that I recieved in a cigar of the month, and in a trade. I thought they were both a great smoke, and enjoyed it thoroughly. It' been awhile since I have had one, so giving you the detailed flavor review i cannot.

I would not have any rouble suggesting you try it though, if you like a bold, fuller flavored cigar. I would compare it to a La Gloria Cubano only I don't remember the Hoyo being as spicey as the La Gloria.

hope that helps.

I find them to be very similar to punch. And like punch I am a bigger fan of the maduro and double maduro varieties in this brand.

However, I really enjoy the dark sumatra line with a nice cup of coffee.

Alex nailed everything I like about that brand in two words, Dark Sumatra.

I don't know if anybody else's smoke shop is running this deal but my local had some deal where you buy a box of something like 15 of them and get 15 free. Obviously as I don't seem to recall the exact amount you can tell that I didn't bite on the deal although I should have.

Cloudy, that is the kind of deal you should always pass along. I am sure that you would have been able to get rid of them on the forum here with a box split. Just anounce it, and then take it to PM, nobody would mind. Heck, I probably would have taken at least 5 at that price, if not 10.

There you go brother!

thanks.... i knew somebody would have some good thoughts

Bikeman said:
Cloudy, that is the kind of deal you should always pass along. I am sure that you would have been able to get rid of them on the forum here with a box split. Just anounce it, and then take it to PM, nobody would mind. Heck, I probably would have taken at least 5 at that price, if not 10.

There you go brother!

Ouch, you know what? That thought honestly never crossed my mind. I was there more for a social visit than any purchasing, what I will do is try both places in town and if the deal is still there I'll grab them up.

Thanks for the advice Bikeman.

I liked the few I have had but it was not one of those, “oh my gawd I need to go buy a box” cigars for me. In my humble opinion Punch is much better, however I have not really smoked them in a way to compare them.

I have a bundle of Rothschilds sitting in the humi. I think the flavor is good and mild, yet I find the constuction leaves something to be desired. Not sure if this is a problem specific to my bundle or one that other people have.

Just smoked a Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur 1066 Churchill. It was delicious, but I am left wondering: does anybody know what's the difference between the Excalibur Maduro and the Excalibur 1066? I think I've smoked two of the 1066's, one somebody PIF'd me and the one I bought today. I like them quite a bit, but haven't tried the Maduro.

The 1066 is listed with a cameroon wrapper, the maduro is listed as a connecticut wrapper. There ya go...

the 4 1/2x50 rothchilds maduro's are a nice short tasty smoke

50 in a box great bargain

I also like Punch more, but as an everyday smoke, I like them, though I have only had 2.

I too have some of those rothchilds resting comfortably in my tupperdoor, I want to get some age on them before I try one, but summer is coming, and they are calling for sure!!