humidification issues

Joined Dec 2005
169 Posts | 0+
Ladislovia, Turbekistan
I've had a 100 ct. humi for @4 months. over that time it's held a pretty good rh and smokes have been great. over the last week my cigars have started cracking and unravelling when smoked. I haven't changed anything in my setup, so I'm confused as to whats going on. I topped off my humidifier today. It hadn't been touched for about 2 weeks. RH was still reading 68%. I also added a second hygrometer to verify my main one was working.

It might be due to over humidification. I always have to drop my RH 3 or 4% during the summer or the cigars will bulge and crack then smoked outdoors due to our humid summers. If the cigars feel spongy when you press on um it might just be time to lower your humidity a bit.

rmrdaddy said:
Temp???

What is your temp reading over these periods?
Uh, I haven't really been monitoring temp. They are ambient temp I guess which fluctuates between 60 and 85 while being at @75 f most of the time.

Motion123 said:
It might be due to over humidification. I always have to drop my RH 3 or 4% during the summer or the cigars will bulge and crack then smoked outdoors due to our humid summers. If the cigars feel spongy when you press on um it might just be time to lower your humidity a bit.

Am I correct then that both over and under humidification will cause cigars to crack and unravel when lit? FYI I was outside while smoking these.

I would suspect it really has to do with rapid changes in humidity rather than being under or over humidified if its breaking while youre smoking. Excess humidity though can swell the tobacco to the point of breaking as well as it being too low can make the wrappers brittle.

Did the cigars have any burn problems such as tunneling or burning lopsided? Did they taste off, ie bitter or acidic? And I hate to ask this but its important, is the hygrometer analog or digital and has it been salt-tested?

I usually don't have too much issue with burn. I have had a cigar out of that humi tunnel so my solution so far is to make sure my humidifier is correctly filled and I purchased a digital hygrometer that measures high/low rh and temp. So next time you ask what the temp has been, I'll have an answer.

And yes the existing hygro has been salted.