humidifier for little smokes in tins

Joined Jan 2007
189 Posts | 0+
Seattle
So I'm out and about with my tin of little Gurkhas and I get to thinking, why wouldn't these go dry like any other non-humidified cigar? God knows tins aren't exactly known for their water retentive qualities. But isn't the point of tinned smokes the convenience of casual about town toting? What's a smoker with OCD to do? (besides just put them back in the humidor when you get home ... far too easy)

And it occured to me. Tiny little humidifiers. There are cigar shaped humidifiers out there, designed to pack away neatly in a smaller humidor, but are there any in the "petite" range? Like 4"x30 ring? That'll fit in a tin?

I may just try and make a couple. Out of a single cigarette tube, or some short length of something I find at the hardware store. But if there's one already out there, I won't bother.

Of course I may end up rusting my tins shut from the inside.

A lot of three-finger cases come with small humidification disks with a small dropper for distilled water. Some of these may be removable and capable of putting in tins. IMHO, I'd be tempted to move them into a small cigar case witht he disks. This may help to keep them fresher and smoking better for a longer period of time. Also, I don't think it would hurt to put tins like that in a humidor at some future point.

If you take a cigar out of the humidor, it will usually be okay for a day or two. A tin of cigars is no different and because its enclosed, probably would extend that timeframe by another day or two. I take mine out for the day, and put it back in the humi at the end and have never experienced any problems.

I had a tin of Gurkha cigarillos once that I kept out of the humidor for a week or so and it was still fine. If you can't manage to put it back in the humidor after that, well then I've met my match for laziness (no offense meant). :lol:

iminaquagmire said:
... well then I've met my match for laziness (no offense meant). :lol:

I'd pose a challange to just about anyone in that regard. Olympic gold medal in lazy here buddy ;)

I found something. Well, actually I was given something. I bought some smokes at a place in Boise and they gave me a couple of what he called "humidifier buttons" to keep 'em fresh till I got home in a couple days.

They're a tiny version of your standard black plastic and florist foam humidifier. About 1" long x 1/2" wide x 1/4" thick, with a self adhesive backing. The backs do pop off if you're totally anti-foam.

Unfortunately I haven't found them online at this point. So I can't steer you toward them.

And while I may not use them to humidify a tin, they'd be totally handy in a small case for a few sticks for a few days. Enough to cover a short family trip :)

Would either of these fit your needs?

2" x 1/2" x 1/2"
[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j266/badhangover/minibrickhumidifier.jpg[/img]

1" x 1/2" x 1/4"
[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j266/badhangover/minihumidifiers.jpg[/img]

Those ones on the bottom are what I was given. They don't hold much, but'll get a few sticks through a long weekend. Thanks for the pics!

Small plastic tube filled with beads.
You should drill small holes first.
But I think your wasting your time & should just smoke them.
If it's really important to hold RH, place them (tin & all)
in a ziplock bag.