Humidifier Solution

Joined Nov 2002
1K Posts | 0+
For those tired of shelling out $8 for a little bottle of 'humidifier solution', you can easily and cheaply make your own. You can buy the Propylene Glycol from a number of sources, but I have included a link to the Chemical Store. All you then need is a small dispenser bottle and a quantity of distilled water (available at the grocery store) equal to the amount of P.G. you buy. When you get ready to mix (assuming 1 gallon size P.G.), simply pour half the water (two quarts) into a separate clean container. Fill the water jug back up with the P.G., then pour the remaining water from the separate container into the P.G. jug. You now have two gallons of solution at roughly 50%. Cap and shake. Now make some big labels to identify the contents of the jugs. Fill up your dispenser (preferably an empty one from a previous solution purchase) and go tend to your humidification devices. The price just went from $1/oz to $0.10/oz.
Link removed by STAFF--contact member via PM if you desire more info

I've been making my own now for quite some time. I order a bottle of propylene glycol from the pharmacy and mix it 50/50 with distilled water. It certainly saves a lot of money.

Yes Chris, most pharmacies will stock both PG, and Distilled water. My guys even mixes it for me in a smaller bottle, and then you don't have to store the big jug at home.

talumn said:
Doesnt propylene glycol kinda mess up the heartfelt beads?

Yes it does!
There are other problems with using PG -
it tends to build up in your credo & as time goes on you need to change to more of a 70/30 mix.

Personally I don't use the stuff - try the beads & just use water.
IMHO - much better!
CC