humidity beads

Joined Jan 2007
267 Posts | 0+
Virginia
Working on my cooler-dor,Im looking at the heartfelt beads.
If I bought them by the pound can I just put them in a tupperware container and drill holes in the top? Next question, do you just pour distilled h2o directly to the beads to hydrate them

thanks
Rodney

thats what i do.

there are other ways ...but im lazy and thats easy

other ways include using a spray bottle

or placing a dish of distilled water in he humi and letting em go by osmosis.

kuzi16 said:
thats what i do.

there are other ways ...but im lazy and thats easy

other ways include using a spray bottle

or placing a dish of distilled water in he humi and letting em go by osmosis.

What Matt said

I use the beads and they are great. I have mine in a small butter plastic container with holes in it. I also use a spray bottel to get them wet. I think it gets a more even wetness and i think i can control it better.

the osmosis thing takes forever, especially if you are using a lot of beads.

At Home Depot, in the hardware section, they have tubes sort of similar to the ones at Heartfelt. Only these are large and have a mounting attachment that they slide onto. They also have a slit in the top cap that would lend itself well to RH transfer if cut a tiny bit.

I use an Oasis but am tempted everytime I see these containers to get some beads and try them out.

I don't really know where I'm going with this, but you could check them out if you're looking for a way to hold your beads.

I'm wondering if on could scoop out the foam in the Oasis and replace it with beads. Kind of do a half-foam, half-beads thing?

I use the 65 rh heartfelt beads. I keep them in a small open dish in the coolerdor. My temp/rh is holding at 70/67. I use a spray bottle and distilled water. haven't had to spray them in 3 months. They're slowly turning brown from the cigars.

Cerberus said:
I use the 65 rh heartfelt beads. I keep them in a small open dish in the coolerdor. My temp/rh is holding at 70/67. I use a spray bottle and distilled water. haven't had to spray them in 3 months. They're slowly turning brown from the cigars.

Now I've seen the same thing and thought it was mold...but then again I have been mistaken from time to time....

Is this good, bad...what's the deal? :duh:

David

Cerberus said:
They're slowly turning brown from the cigars.

Brett,

I am going to have to agree on this point. you might want to check into that. I have had my beads for quite some time and there is no discoleration what so ever. I am not saying it is bad, just Check with David at Heartfelt

My beads have some brown color to them.
It has shown up over time.
Maybe it is because of all the fans running in my box?
Not sure - but I'm not worried about it.

I had some turn slightly brown once before too. However, those same beads also developed a black crud on them that seemed likely to be mold. I pitched those and ordered some new ones just to be safe. There was a big difference in color between the two, though. The brownish beads seemed to have actually changed color, while the ones with the black crud just had the crud on them that I could wipe off, if that makes sense...

Can someone give me details about the kitty litter beads that some folks are using. I got a new 100ct Savoy humi and want to fill the credo with beads, but dont need to buy a 1/2 pound from heartfelt.

Or...if someone has an excess of the beads they could send me.....I'd only need about 2oz or so to fill the credo.

Thanks a bunch!

question about the heartfelt beads-- is there any problem about dripping and should you keep them from any contact with cigars? according to their website, they seem like a bovedapak--they absorp and release humidity as needed. is that right?

You'll want to keep them in something that allows them to do the job without being in contact with your cigars.