Humidity can be such a rollercoaster.

Joined Jun 2006
27 Posts | 0+
Wyoming
A few months back I switched my humidification from foam to beads. Now Wyoming can get real cold and very dry. Today I noticed my digital hydrometer was showing 61% so I added some distilled h20 to the beads. Sure enfough the humidity went up to a solild 65% a few hours later, perfect.

Now four hours later it was dropped back down to 61%. There was no change, temp is about 68 degrees. It's getting to be more funny than anything else.

David

Give it a day or two -
the beads could of been really dry & sucking in the water.
Let us knw what it says tomorrow!

Dave, I have been having some of the same problems. I had my cigars in the basement becasue the temp stayied constant all summer. Now in the winter here in Indiana it was like 50 degrees so i set my humidore next to my bed. The place any real cigar lovers humidor should be. The temp is about 65 but when it gets warmer my humidity goes up to 72% or so but when it gets colder it drops down to 65%. I have the beads and they are set at 65% humidity beads. I haven't added any water becasue the beads look like 70 percent or so look saturated. I hope this helps Craig

Like I said above the temp was around 68 degress and still low. I added some water today and hopefully it will raise a little.

I've read many of times about how users of the beads will add water. Some will add them directly which cracks them. I know they will continue to work as designed but now I'm finding small particles at the bottom of the humidor. If it's not one thing it's another. :lol:

David

It just goes with the time of year. It's hard for me to keep a good humidity. I use the silica kitty litter, but when you go from 68% humidity in the house to 32% in a couple of days, it can be tough. That is the good thing about summer in South Carolina - Hot and humid for months at a time (I can't believe I just wrote that!).

I have the same problem with beads too. I try to give them a few days to adjust and then rehydrate them if necessary.

Problem is that it's so darn dry around here. Only a few days ago I added water to my beads and today I had to add more. Freaking winter needs to end soon. :?

David

Yep, me too. Been adding water like crazy. I am soooooo ready for spring. I suppose I have about 2 more months of cold weather.

I have had similar trouble with keeping my beads from needing water every few days, so I threw in a couple water pillows and that fixed the problem right up. If you have a couple, you might want to try that. Or maybe put a shot glass of water in there for a little while and see what happens.

I am so glad to hear others are having the same problem as I do, when I leave my humi open for even five minutes the RH drops to 40%. I am looking for a wine fridge just to make things a little more airtight to help with the problem, I have beads, water pillows an oasis and still fight the humidity problem. In our part of the country it is extremely dry in the winter and not that much better in the summer.

Don, how long does it take to get your humidity back up?

I have a fridge and if i open the door the CO will come on but turns off in no time.

if you have a small humidor and opne the lid, all the RH goes out, but if it returns in a little bit don't worry

It takes a couple of hours to get the Rh back up to 63-65%. My reasons for wanting the wine fridge are twofold: you guys (my dearest friends) have made my inventory triple and I have to add water to the beads and oasis every couple of days. I have not been able to find a thermoelectric fridge in Calgary, the Avaniti link given on this thread is only available in the USA but I will keep on looking.

thats cuz they dont sell fridges in Canada at all, up there in the great white north they simply just aren't needed