Humidity not going down

Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts | 0+
I got a new humidor for xmas, and i followed the directions in preparing it (wiping it down with a sponge a few times, yada yada yada) and it still says about 85% humidity in there. Now, I know that more humidity is better than lack of humidity, but the directions to my humi said after 2-3 days, the hygrometer should read about 70-75% humidity...don't know why it hasn't dropped yet.

It is also an analog meter, so does that have anything to do with it? thanks.

Try calibrating it, or getting your hands on a digital one. I leave the lid cracked for a day or two as needed when things get a little wet in there.
-D

Leaving your humidor open for a couple hours will most likely drop the rh sufficiently. Do that and check it then either open or close as needed. The way the humidity is in my house a couple hours works well, Avgeeks may be different as yours probably is too.

Definitely ditch the analog and go digital, make sure you salt test your digital when you do buy it. The instructions on how to do it are somewhere up top of this sub-forum.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

P.S. Good to see your name Avgeek, how goes it?

Glad to be back. School was hitting me hard, but I got through it. I intend to spend some quality time this term with my wife and my humidor (and in that order).

How 'bout you?

-D

Something along the lines of what cloudy said. I call it "burping". Just open that bad boy for 5- 10 mintues every hour or every other hour. Once you get some sticks in there they will help absorb alot of the humidity. As long as you are under 80 it souldnt hurt the sticks to much... just let them sit for a while before you light one up so you have a better burn and not as thick of a draw.

avgeek said:
Glad to be back. School was hitting me hard, but I got through it. I intend to spend some quality time this term with my wife and my humidor (and in that order).

How 'bout you?

-D

Good here thanks. Not a lot going with me really, just getting sucked further and further into the madness that is cigar appreciation...Thats a good thing by the way. 8)

If your humidity is 75% there is no way you want to put cigars in there. that is way to high. I will get cranky if mine gets over 66%

Barcochris said:
If your humidity is 75% there is no way you want to put cigars in there. that is way to high. I will get cranky if mine gets over 66%

Puhlease - you get cranky if your wife doesn't fill your sippy cup right away.

I keep my humidor at 63 - my cigars seem to smoke the best at that RH. Take a look at some beads - I leave some in my cabinet even though I have a CO XL Plus.

I agree with Kevin. I keep my humidity around 63% using a combination of the Oasis and 65% beads. My smokes do much better at this humidity.