Humidity Question

Joined Mar 2007
222 Posts | 0+
Northeast Georgia
I know that there are alot of humidity questions going around, and I have one more to add. I have a 150 ct humidor that has been seasoned properly. My hygrometer was salt tested and is off by 11%, so I compensate by adding 11% to the reading. My compensated humidity is holding consistantly at 60%-61% and the temp is 70-73. Is this was still in the ok range? I have a about 120 sticks is there that I don't want ruined because of temp/humidity.

Thanks,

Sam

The rh is a little low but don't worry so much, it comes down to personel pref. Now an 11% off gauge worries me. Mine was off by 5 an dI didn't like it but the batteries soon died and now it is off by one with fresh ones. I would check the hygro again.

Will do. It's been a few months since I salt tested it, so I'll give that another go.

Sam

Sam there are a lot of opinions about what humidity to keep your smokes. Personally I look for my smokes to feel a certain way and to smoke to my liking. In other words if your smokes are smoking nice at that level then let them be. If not then you might want to think about bumping your humidity up a little. The easy way to maintain good humidity is to use Heartfelt Beads.

elidog said:
Sam there are a lot of opinions about what humidity to keep your smokes. Personally I look for my smokes to feel a certain way and to smoke to my liking. In other words if your smokes are smoking nice at that level then let them be. If not then you might want to think about bumping your humidity up a little. The easy way to maintain good humidity is to use Heartfelt Beads.

I think most people miss this Point Steve, We should not give to much credence to what the actual RH in our humidors are but how do they FEEL, how do they SMOKE? if your cigars are stored a X RH and smoke like crap what is the point.

Exactly...other than knowing that you aren't going so high on the humidity that mold rears its ugly head...I agree with the above...I used to be really particular about my humidity, but have really relaxed on this issue since the winter will drive a man "commitable". now I just make sure they aren't turning to powder or turning green and trying to escape.

For the more concerned, I really enjoy the Boveda packs the best, a real no brainer, no touch solution that puts my mind at ease, and all my smokes are very enjoyable....

Also, Steve is a cigar wizard...he "touches and caresses" his cigars before bestowing his voodoo spell upon his tobacco. Acutally, you probably didn't know that any cigar you get form Steve is actually a banana flavored swisher sweet he cast a spell on to look and taste like a gurkha.

Hatchetman said:
Not really sure what +1 means :roll: , but basically Chis is saying if they smoke good, leave it. If they are splitting or have a terrible burn, adjust accordingly. I think with the invention of all these bead things, humidifying media, etc. it is confusing more people than the Greek language. If mine are between %61 and 66%, I don't care. The batteries died in all my hygrometers years ago, and I still have not bothered to change them. If they are on the dry side, bump it up. Too humid, I turn down the Oasis.

hehe...yah i edited my post to read more than +1...sorry...it means I agree.

Hatchetman said:
Also, Steve is a cigar wizard...he "touches and caresses" his cigars before bestowing his voodoo spell upon his tobacco. Acutally, you probably didn't know that any cigar you get form Steve is actually a banana flavored swisher sweet he cast a spell on to look and taste like a gurkha.

Steve is the cigar "Whisperer". :wink:

DL

Yes! There we go...the "Cigar Whisperer"

<deep>

In a world of tobacco...
There is one who feels...
The Cigar Whisperer...starts Friday

Y'all are a bunch of mooks! :D

Dont be knockin my Phillies either! 8)

I decided to just go on how they feel and smoke. They smoke fine at that point, but I still monitor the numbers. THe humidity dropped a bit and they were a little dryer than I like so I bumped the humidity up a little. I've quit worrying so much and started enjoying more! Thanks everyone.

Sam

In the winter, humidity can drop a bit because of the dry air. Being in Georgia, winter shouldn't be much longer.

SWilson80 said:
I decided to just go on how they feel and smoke. They smoke fine at that point, but I still monitor the numbers. THe humidity dropped a bit and they were a little dryer than I like so I bumped the humidity up a little. I've quit worrying so much and started enjoying more! Thanks everyone.

Sam

Good man! :D

Originally posted by SWilson80:
I decided to just go on how they feel and smoke.

This way anywhere you go you will be able to pick up any cigar & have some idea of what is what!
True Knowledge or "Knowing" is a good thing!!!!