Humidity Scare

Joined May 2006
59 Posts | 0+
Clinton Twp, Michigan
Hi everyone. A few weeks ago, I noticed that my humidor was dropping in humidity. I expected this during the winter with the heat on and the house being dryer than normal.

I an effort to head it off, when my humidity got down to about 60-65% I added a dish of distilled water for a short time. When I checked the levels after a few hours, the humidity was way over what I wanted (its only a 50ct in case you're wondering). I didn't want to shock my cigers too bad so I kept letting more humidity out by opening it every hour or so until it was about 70%.

The next week when I went to smoke a cigar, the one I pulled out was very flaky and falling apart. Naturally I was upset (it was a Rocky Patel Vintage 1992). I have kept a close eye on the rest since then and everything seems to be ok.

My question is was this because of the humidity changes or was it just a bad cigar in the bunch?

Thanks!

im guessing it is a bad cigar and not so much on the humidity.
one of my humidors is a 50ct. I keep it at 65% RH all year round. there are some people that keep their humis as low as 60% all year round. I doubt that dropping to 60% RH would mess them up that bad. the only real test is if the rest of your cigars act the same way.

the other shock that your cigars are feeling (or will feel) during the winter is the shock of leaving your humidor and entering the dry winter air when you go to smoke them. A cigar will burn differrent in the summer than the winter. this may be a factor.

I've had this happen with Rocky Patels before too. Which is not to say they're a poor line of cigars, they are not. I think it could be the rapid change in humidity from the humidor to the dry winter climate. I would keep your humidity stable and test a few more sticks.