Humidity too High

Joined Mar 2005
223 Posts | 0+
I have a desk top cedar 50 cigar humidor.
Dial Hydgrometer which is most likely inaccurate. It's attached to the lid and I can't remove for salt test.
Regardless, Humidity is climbing. Last night 72% from what was around 68% since I've had the thing.
I keep the humidor in my downstairs gameroom out of any direct sun.
I just put 25 of the Primereos I got from you guys about two weeks ago in there.
I pulled the humidifiers last night.
Any other moves to bring down the humidity?
:?:
Thanks

I posted a similar question in "Another stupid question" thread. A couple of the guys suggested adding more spanish cedar to the humi.

Good luck.

This is a typical summertime problem in the Northeast, South and even Southwest at times. Sometimes keeping them open doesn't even do the trick. Putting more Spanish cedar in might help, but it's going to be a three, four month wrestling match, so get ready.

also could be climbing because of the addition of 25 cigars. I wouldn't worry too much and give it some time to even out. I track my humidors everyday but i don't necessarily react on the spot.

Thanks Guys;
I was thinking that the young cigars might have made it jump. I just got worried when I saw 72%.
I'll throw some strips in there over the weekend and look around for a digital hydro.
I'm in Southwestern PA and we got high 80's and plenty of humidity right now.

If you're in Southwestern Pennsylvania, if I'm not mistaken you're near Vince and the weather is pretty similar to here. Let me tell you something about the weather we've been having the past few days and will have for the next few. Removing the hygrometers and leaving the box OPEN won't necessarily bring it down below 70%. I mean, check this out: the 2 p.m. readings for Fishkill, NY are temperature, 84 degrees, and humidity 71%. Well, that means OUTSIDE the humidor it's as high as it needs to be, so if you live in the Northeast, that means today you might actually BENEFIT from leaving your humidors OPEN, just in case it's too low, like two of mine still are from the winter.

:cryinlaugh: :duh:

Hey, I don't make these rules, I'm just like FOX(y)-News. I report, you decide.

:cryinlaugh: :mrgreen: :pumpkin:

I think the safe thing to do is give them to your brother...this might be too much stress for you to be worrying about those cigars all the time. :shock:
:D

:cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh:

Yes, and when your brother comes to you three months later and asks for his cigars back, you can give him the title of an old Cheech and Chong movie. OOPS, they went . . .

UP IN SMOKE. :eek:mg: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh:

Ravyn.... My cigars are yours cigars. Some of them literally are yours! I've yet to get a bad trade from you!

Ahhhhhh, the sweet refrains of congenial brotherhood.

:mrgreen:

My cigars are your cigars,
My house is your house,
My table and everything on it is yours as well,
My music collection is your music collection,
My liquor cabinet, my humidors, up to half my kingdom,
Is yours as well,
My woman, her sweet companionship,
Her body and all it's delights,
Are yours as w-----------,

HEY, WHAT? HOW'D THAT GET IN TH-------------, . . .

:eek:mg: :eek:mg: :eek:mg:

:cryinlaugh: :neer: :neer: :sm_angel: :sm_angel:

:flush:

HAHA....actually...a few of those sticks ARE mine :D

"rodney" take my wife...please "rodney" :lol:

Razorking is happy cause I told him I have a DIPLOMA waiting for him.

All I got was a G.E.D. It's not a "real" diploma.

I ain't dumb, I wuz a victim o' coikcumstance.

:boohoo: :duh: :boohoo: :sm_angel:

Haven't seen that Diploma yet!

OK just for the record, everything buy my wife is my Brother's. I am his keeper and He, Mine.

I still haven't seen the promised Diploma yet! The only cigars in my humi that are his are the Camacho Candela's and I think half of them are mine anyway!

OK Humidor UPDATE. I got a digital thermo/hygrometer for Father's Day (great gift, what a smart kid).
Just as anticipated and learned fron this board and it's hive/mind. The analog was off by 22% :shock:
I'm now at 50% humidity.
Pulled all the cedar, refilled and replaced one of the two humidifiers.
:?: How long do you think it will take to stabalize for me to take the next step to get to 65/68%.

Oh, by the way Bloof, I'm just across the river from Vince. I've been going to B&B since they were in the last building.

Put the wood back in the box . It will act as a buffer to limit the amplitude of the RH swings. You might want to soak one of the pieces of wood in some distilled water to help bring the RH up.

All this is why I use climmax beads!

They will draw moisture out of the humidor if it goes up!
72% isn't to bad for NC's but I like 63% for all my cigars.
Look into the Climmax beads if you want to keep your humidor
rock solid. I use them in my cabinet. There is a set and forget in
there, but that will not drop RH - or look into one of the
"humidstat tubes" (sp?) they could work the same.

There is also a type of Kitty litter that will work as well.
You can use a small cup of dry and it will suck out the moisture.

NOTE - not any Kitty Litter

I will hunt down the right brand and post it later!

Update!

OK, 4 days into Humidor realignment due to new digital hyrometer.
RH 57% Up 7% in four days. with the addition on one refilled credo.
Analog reads 80% RH.

Hey Ravyn! Looks like I'll be hitting El Fumidor Today. Humidor is looking a little low! :p

WELL!!!
do I need to tell you to buy me something yummy?

I told Eddie to get a bunch of national brand nicaraguans...(red label)..if he got them...get me a handfull :D

if not...just use your good taste!

Update

Day 9 of Humidor realignment:
Finally over 60% RH
68.9 degrees F
The analog meter reads 84% Rh
Digital is the way to go for Hygrometers

I got the Temp/Hum digital on sale at Lowe's $20.00
3"x4"x.750" "Accurite" with both internal and external temp. readings.