Humidor Help

Joined Jan 2008
4 Posts | 0+
Alaska
Howdy all!

I just got back into cigars after a long absence and got a 50ct humidor for Christmas. I am having extreme trouble getting it up to a good humidity and keeping it there.

When I first got it I was told that it had been seasoned with a bowl of water for a few days so I topped off the foam humidifier and threw in all my cigars. I got a digital hygrometer and it showed 64%. It really hasn't moved from this. Despite the fact that I have two of the foam humidifiers and 3 water pillows - all topped off with distilled water or PG solution.

If I place a bowl of distilled water into the humidor it will climb up after a few days but I worry about getting everything too damp by doing this. If I open it up, even for < 2mins it drops to the mid-60's and takes several days to climb up again.

I live in Alaska so the winter is very dry - do I just have a bad seal on the humidor? It seems solid, no obvious gaps in it.

I was thinking of wrapping the whole thing in cellophane for a few days just to make sure it was airtight.

Thanks for any ideas.

I think you'll find more people here who keep theirs at 65% or below compared to those who keep them at 70%. I keep mine right at 65% and find my sticks smoke better. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

And Welcome to the forums!!

Trent

cormarr,

I would recomend using RH beads as I'm sure most on here would agree. And as Trent said above, 65% seems to be the most preferable RH. Assuming the seal on your humidor is good, the beads take all the guess work out of it. Quite easy in fact. I also recommend using an adjustable digital hygrometer. Just season your humidor, pop some beads in it, salt test your hygometer and adjusted it to the correct RH and you are good to go! Sleepless nights will be a thing of the past.

Dustin

I also agree that I get a better burn from my stix when they are between 63-65%. Plus I used to worry the last couple of winters because I could not get my RH up to 70% due to the dry air. I have not gone with beads yet (If I can stop buying cigars I can get the beads) and with similar sources to what you are using it is hard for a passive system to keep a humi any higher in a dry enviorment. the main thing with RH is that it is consistant. I never open my humi more than once a day unless I have too and with a good digital hygro the reading will drop almost instantly this time of year when I open the lid. If you salt tested your hygro and the RH is fairly steady you are fine. But if you are still worried good checks for your seal are a flashlight in an empty humi in a dark room. If you see light it is a bad seal. also if the RH will not stay steady seal the humi in a bag if it keeps a steady RH while sealed in a bag then the humi has a bad seal.

All good advice...heres my 2 cents

Pick up the lid of your humi, about 3 or 4 inches, and drop it....let it freefall shut...if you hear wood on wood contact, your have a bad seal, if you here a whoosh and lid lands softly, you have a good seal.

Also, how long did you season your humi b4 you put smokes in it? A dry humidor will suck the humidity out of your cigars, especially at that ciritical time between your humidifier drying out, and you rewetting it....that's when you have 50 humidifiers in there, all screaming in pain from being hydro sucked...which, I think thats legal in Alaska anyway. If you rushed the seasoning process, or at least think you might have because you have a good seal, remove your smokes and place those in a ziploc bag with a water pillow for a couple more days as you feed your humidor some more moisture.

You can also put a dollar bill (or $100) over the lip.
Close the lid & if you can pull the bill out there is no seal.

Most people do season their humi for a 3+ days before using it.
If the seal is good keep an eye on it & it should level off.
Watch the RH doesn't jump.

That dollar bill trick is common, but if I ever wipe a bacteria infested bill onto my humidor, someone please hit me....

Thanks for the thoughts.

I salt tested twice and I think the most accurate was 73%. My current humidor sits at 64% (+2%) so right in the target range.

Of course I... "over spent" a little bit ago and now have to upgrade my humidor to a slightly larger one. This new one should be a bit higher quality with a (hopefully) better seal on it.

cormarrr said:
Thanks for the thoughts.

I salt tested twice and I think the most accurate was 73%. My current humidor sits at 64% (+2%) so right in the target range.

Of course I... "over spent" a little bit ago and now have to upgrade my humidor to a slightly larger one. This new one should be a bit higher quality with a (hopefully) better seal on it.

Just start building the walk'in closet.
Maybe sliding glass door so you can see in???
CC :wink:

I should just buy a house sized humidifier and really be done with it. I wonder how many humidifing jars I'd need for the whole place?