Humidor mold?

Joined Sep 2007
626 Posts | 1+
In my Mack truck somewhere in a Chicago suburb smo
Is it possible to get mold spores in your humidor and then transfer to your smokes...i had a couple that had some green spots in/on the wrapper, and both were smokes that had direct contact with the cedar, so I thought it might be mold from a previous temperature spike, so i removed my smokes, wiped the humi down with some 50/50, and im noticing my humi smells a bit off. It doesn't have that cedar smell anymore, its way more musty....

Which smokes were they?

Oftentimes spots of water remain on the tobacco leaves as they are drying in the sheds, what they call "on the slope". These water spots typically leave a circular mark, and will usually remain green.
Mold on cigars that I have seen is invariably white fluffy spots that have tendrils coming from them, truely spores.

hmm....they were round spots here and there....very well could have been water spots.....

I would not worry unless you can visually see mold forming on the cedar, but to answer your question, yes it is possible. In such a case you can try wiping down and they sanding the wood inside the humidor. However, your best bet is full on replacement when it happens.