Humidor New-B with questions

Joined Oct 2007
16 Posts | 0+
Boston
hey guys...just curious about some stuff...i got my humidor last thursday and set it up for seasoning like it said after i calibrated the hygrometer but the hygrometer reads like 85% and never changes...i put water in the humidifiers filled a shot glass with water and also threw in a boveada seasoning packet and have left it there and check every day....just wondering if im being impatient or if it should have moved at least a little..i also think im gonna ditch the analog hygro get a digital and use the heartfelt beads insted of the sponge humidifiers

I haven't used those seasoning packets yet, but if i remember right they are 85% packets....is it still in there?

ClarkBass said:
also think im gonna ditch the analog hygro get a digital and use the heartfelt beads insted of the sponge humidifiers

I agree 100%. Heartfelt beads are great.

yeah it still in there...its only one packet and each packet is for every 50 cigars you can fit in your humi

again...i haven't used these so someone correct me if im wrong, but if you have an 85% packet in there, and your hygro reads 85%, i would say both are working perfectly....if you have had it in there for the recommended time, take it out and see what happens with your rh level with just your humidifiers in there, but give it time, you might not notice a change in the first day....that's exactly why spanish cedar is used so much in the cigar industry....it really does well holding and regulating humidity.

Definitely the beads and use an adjustable digital hygrometer.

In fact you might not want to use a hygrometer at all if using beads......they cause sleepless nights! :lol:

Dustin

Clark,
I'd say that you could take some of your humidity sources out by now. From what I read in your post, you have the calibration pack, PLUS a shot glass of water, and a full element, WOW!! That's some humidity! lol
I'd take out the calibration pack and the shot of whater, leave it for 2 days and see what your RH will stabilize to. My guess is that you'll be pretty good at that point.
Good luck!

rmrdaddy said:
Clark,
I'd say that you could take some of your humidity sources out by now. From what I read in your post, you have the calibration pack, PLUS a shot glass of water, and a full element, WOW!! That's some humidity! lol
I'd take out the calibration pack and the shot of whater, leave it for 2 days and see what your RH will stabilize to. My guess is that you'll be pretty good at that point.
Good luck!

Try that and then send me a few to sample for you as to be sure everything is Ok! :lol:

Have to agree with going digital but making sure that the hygrometer is calibrated is what really matters!! The seasoning pack maintains 85% hunidity from what I understand, so as long as it is in there it will read 85% until it goes dry, but the other sources you have will keep it going. I agree with rmrdaddy try that and see where stand.