Humidor problem...

Joined Apr 2004
289 Posts | 0+
NJ
I've recently noticed that my humidor RH is dropping. I've read where this is the time of year that it will do it but this is a relatively new humidor with a good supply of PPG and distilled water. My humidor went from 69% to 63% in about two weeks. The temp has fallen in the basement as well. Do the two go hand in hand? I've noticed that my everyday smokes burn like a road flare now! :cry: Very bad taste. Ashtray like. I haven't altered my lighting method or anything else for that matter. I'm not gonna smoke my "good ones" now. I'll wait and see what you guys say and try to fix it. I have two humidifiers with a 50/50 mix of PPG and distilled water AND a small shot-glass of a 50/50 mix of the same. With this much water in there shouldn't the RH be higher than 63%? What do you guys suggest? Thanks guys, Simp

In a New Jersey basement, and at this time of year, humidity will drop faster than the 42nd President's pants. The fact that you have it at 63% right now is a blessing from The Lord. And don't worry about your cigars at 63%, they'll be just fine. I'm not sure why all of a sudden they're not tasting good, because 63% is known to be just fine for Cuban and Nicaraguan tobacco, and certain strains from other areas of the world. Start worrying when you have trouble keeping it at 60%, seriously.

If you really want to keep the RH up, look into a Cigar Oasis
& Climmax Beads. Hand in hand it will keep your RH rock solid!

I don't understand why the taste would drop off all of a sudden. The temp and RH is at 63/63 now. Its been that way for a week. It seems to have settled at that now. I don't have any "good" cigars in the humidor, just some bundle cigars, but the taste has definitely dropped considerably. I tried to smoke one last night and didn't make it half way through the thing and had to give it the old heave-ho. Any ideas? Simp

Since I actually TRY to keep my humidors at somewhere between 62-66% humidity, we're ALL stumped over here. Me, myself and I, plus the cat and the snake.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Thank you Sir. I'll keep you guys updated as to what happens.(Either good or bad). Simp

stop using the PPG...straight distilled water. Climmax beads are the best, and no need for anything else if you use them right. A 1# lot will humidify 5 cubic ft. If you are interested, I am taking orders for 1# or better since I need to order them in a 10# lot. This is a non profit deal for me since I need only two pounds, Fernando has claimed 3#. These things work gangbusters to keep your humidity even.
Colder weather will drop RH as well. BAsement 'musk', and any other scent in teh area can contaminate the taste of your sticks if your humidor is just slightly open to outside air.
Road Flare burn? PPG infusion, combined with dry, open, center would be my WAG.

My .02 on the taste thing is this:

You say all you have in that humidor is "just some bundle cigars"
& "don't understand why the taste would drop off"

I think you say that in reply t other saying they keep their RH at 63%-65% (I keep my smokes at 63%)
I have found that higher humidity levels tend to mute flavors.
When I dropped my RH to 63% I found tastes I had not noticed before. In fact I think this is what is happening fr you as well.
At the higher RH these cigars have muted and are smoking/tatsting better - but bring down the RH and find the rue flavor of the bundled cigars! - one possible explanation!
CC :shock:

I actually agree with what you said CC, but everyone has to experience this cigar storage thing over a period of years for themselves.

Seems that others over there are saying the very same thing!

Damn even a blind squirrel find a nut every now and again :D

I just read the replies on the other forum. I can see where the higher RH can mute the taste of cigars but I'm not convinced that this is my problem. When I first bought these sticke (JR Ashton magnum alternatives and the Tampa sweethearts 5X50) they were pretty good for "bundle" cigars. The Ashtons tasted pretty much like an Ashton. The Tampas tasted like a plain jane cigar, nothing special but not bad. The taste now is nothing compared to what it was. Much worse. Trust me, I'm no conissuer(sp?) but these sticks aren't worth smoking. I'm not gonna throw them out, but try to salvage them. Maybe I'll get some of the climax beads from one of the other posters and see if that works. Until next time,(which prolly won't be too long!) Simp

It's okay to post the name of the "other forum" here. The folks at Cigar Wiseare a great group of people and some are even AmBack members. That makes them even better! :wink:

If you really feel that it is a moisture issue that has caused them to taste poorly, then get a cedar cigar box. Put a few in the cedar box. Take a moistened towel or paper towel - wipe the lid of the box and inner seal until the wood becomes stained (= noticeably moist). Shut the lid and put the box in a cooler or you humidor if it will fit. That should safely put them in a moister environment.

I doubt the sudden change in R/H is enough to mess up the taste of your cigars and you probably should be examining other factors.

This is way off from my study matters, but I understood R/H (Relative Humidity) to not be true or actual humidity. R/H if it was explained right, is mainly a measurement of "the amount of moisture the air should be able to hold, primarily based on tempurature". Meaning when it's 100º degrees, the air holds moisture a lot easier than when it's 33º. Of course that´s a very over-simplified explanation and I take no responsibility for it´s accuracy - before one of you gets the impression that if it´s 35º, you can dump a mop bucket over a sofa seat cushion and jam it in your humidor without worry!

That said the actual humidity in your humidor probably has not shifted as RADICALLY as you may believe.