Humidor stuck at 65%.....

Joined Jul 2005
19 Posts | 0+
Is there anything I can do to get it over the "hump"? I would like to get the humidity to about 68-69% but it seems to bet set at 65. Any suggestions? I have a couple of sticks in there I've been trying to let marinate for a special occasion...would hate to see them go bad.

Should I add more solution to the humidifer?

Thanks!!

Humidor stuck at 65% . . .

and your problem is??? :dunno:

And I say that with all due respect, not being a wise ass here. Many will back me up on the "not being a wise ass" and also that there's no problem with being stuck at 65%. Unless you have cigars with light bodied, light flavored, mostly Dominican tobacco, and even in THAT case, 65% is a problem many of us wish we had. My problem right now is that of being stuck at 75%.

Don't worry about those sticks, they'll be fine even down to 60-62% for a little while.

Cool...Well I feel better now! I'm new to the whole humidor thing. I used to just buy sticks as I would smoke them.

Thanks for the reply!

Glad to help. One good thing to remember is that Cubans do better at 60-65%, and also anything made with Nicaraguan tobacco. Certain thick Ecuadoran leaves will also do better in lower humidity, although not all Ecuadoran tobacco is thick. Indonesian and Cameroon wrappers, as well as light Connecticut shade, will do better in higher humidity.

Never forget however, that your cigars are composed of three different materials, the filler, then a binder leaf goes around that, and lastly, the wrapper is put on. It's a good idea to know the origins of all the tobaccos, although the wrapper would be most important. If it's an obviously thick leaf, lower humidity levels would be better.

If you do HAVE to get it up past 65% you can try soaking your humidification device. You could also try filling it with a humidifier solution instead of distilled water and that should keep it at almost exactly 70%.

Usually when I am first setting up a new humidor I take the humidification device and completely submerge it in a bowl of distilled water. Then I take it out and let it sit upside down on a towel for about an hour to make sure it doesn't drip. Then I put it in the humidor along with a bowl of distilled water and that helps to really get the wood going.

If you just soak your device and then replace it you should probably get to or above 70%. If for some reason it gets to high, take it out and spray some humidifier solution in it and that should bring it on down.

Does your humidor have a good seal?? Does it sound like a fridge door when you open it?? It should suck, literally.

Thanks for all the help! It is a new humidor so it could be that the wood is absorbing moisture. I guess we will see in a couple of days.

It wasn't a very expensive humidor...just something that would do the job. I wanted something inexpensive because I will most likely travel with it alot.

Thanks again!

P.S. - Cubans aren't really an issue because I can never find any.

I just want to say one thing, with all due respect to everyone, of course. I have four desk tops, one is about eight to eight and a half years old. It has the best seal of all my desk tops. It is the WORST at keeping humidity. The two humidors I have with the best seals are the WORST at keeping humidity. I have done extensive studies over the years to confirm that. I believe the "seal" thing is overrated, although I respect anyone's right to disagree and also their own personal experience.

Another thing synce....you will not be able to regulate the humidity in your humidor unless it is near full. A happy humidor is a full humidor. In order to properly maintain humidity in any humidor it should be 75% full or more.

Although at 65% rh your pretty much exactly were you need to be. Personally I keep mine around 63% and have found my cigars smoke better at that level.

I agree on all counts and have been stating the first point that nmcowboy made, to many people for many years. It's like a NYC subway car, the more people there are in it, even during the winter, the sweatier it's going to be. :mrgreen:

ummmm, interesting analogy Bloof, I'll have to ponder that one a bit. I doubt a NYC subway car comes close to smelling as nice. Of course I wouldn't know, I was only in NYC once and was told to stay off the subway, my aunt was affraid for the people of NYC.

:cryinlaugh:

Y'know, I think I remember you saying that somewhere once. And you're right, I'd much rather suck the air out of a humidor than a NYC subway car. Even when they're empty, some of them have the stench of "the homeless" permanently engraved in their individual atmospheres.

65% is perfect for me, if not too high for certain sticks in my opinions...I prefer them a little more dry than average...I just like the way they burn and taste better...

One of my desktops is at 67%...a little high for me but it is at a constant, never changes...

It didn't use to be like that, but I've had this particular humidor filled for at least a year, I had seasoned it, then kept it filled and the RH has just seemed to level off. I would use beads (you can buy them for 65% or 70% i believe), but I don't have any experience with these...

But for my other humidors, I use an Oasis, these are great but take up a little space, you pretty much "set and forget," the only thing I don't like is I don't have control over my Temp...but with Air etc.. it's not too much of a problem...

The good thing with the Oasis, is you set what RH you want it at, then it kicks on if it falls below the desired RH, then shuts off when it gets there.....

My Humble Two Cents

With the help of the hive mind here, I just went thru 2 months of humi stabilization.
Points learned:
Need digital
The humidification device, takes and puts moisture. Never soak it.
Fill the humidor, even with a bundle of primeros!
Work slowly, good things take time
I have a bunch of cracked Candelas to prove that!
I started in earlyJune with 50% Rh, I'm now at 63%
Mostly Hondurans and they seem to like it.
Been having fun ever since I started!

jeffrow, do a search or just start a new thread it will be easier and you will get a lot more responses