Humidor stuck at 65%.....

In the empty humidor, put down a paper towel. Put a cup of distilled water in there. Leave it in for a day or two along with a digital hygrometer which has already been given the salt test. When the hygrometer gets to at least 62%, take out the cup of water, and already have the humidifier "charged" and ready to go. Insert your humidifier and cigars, and check twice a week to verify humidity levels. For further information, do a search on these forums.

Thanks guys alset. Its at 72 % today. Now for another stupid question. When you put the Cigars in the humidor do you leave them in their package?
Thanks,
Jeff

Bobberrific said:
I personally take them out of their wrappers. I believe that it's better to age them that way. The RH doesn't seep in through one crack into the cigar. It can hit the cigar with more surface area. Seeeeems logical I guess. A second opinnion would be best.

Bob, actually cellophane is porous and the air comes right through the wrapper. Technically, it shouldn't make a difference whether you leave the cellphane on or off. It is more of a personal preference. I personally leave the cellophane on if the cigar comes with it mainly because it is easier then stripping the whole box. I also like it because it protects the wrapper from any nicks and scratches that may come from moving the cigars. It will also help to temporarily keep the humidity with the cigars when the humidor is opened.

Calibus said:
personally leave the cellophane on if the cigar comes with it mainly because it is easier then stripping the whole box.

Yeah, but it feels sooo good to strip the whole box :wink:

axegod75 said:
Calibus said:
personally leave the cellophane on if the cigar comes with it mainly because it is easier then stripping the whole box.

Yeah, but it feels sooo good to strip the whole box :wink:

Heh, you just like to think about stripping something. :hearseespeak:

Well, you got me there bro :)

But to answer Jeffrow's question:
I'll take them out of the cello if I'm going to age them. But for sticks that will be smoked in the near future, I'll leave them in. It also adds a little extra protection should you go out and bring some along to smoke.

Take it off, take it ALLLLL OFF!!! Strip those cigars down to their bare nakedness and gaze upon their skin, pulled tight over their nubile bodies. Let them sit and age away drowning in each other's oils, spreading body heat all over your humidor. :flush:

Bloofington said:
Take it off, take it ALLLLL OFF!!! Strip those cigars down to their bare nakedness and gaze upon their skin, pulled tight over their nubile bodies. Let them sit and age away drowning in each other's oils, spreading body heat all over your humidor. :flush:

Dangit Bloof. Now I need some tissue. :oops:

TISSUE?!?!!??!!!

If any of these guys start talking about Rachael Ray again, I'll need a BEACH TOWEL.

:eek:mg: :eek:mg: :eek:mg:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :pumpkin: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :cryinlaugh: :sm_angel:

Naked or Not!

I have something to add on this one.
I went thru a bad RH swing due to a slightly off Hygro (23%)!
I had some Camacho Candela's some naked, some not.
All the naked ones....cracked wrappers.
With cello.... good to go!

Boveda packs not getting up to 72%

Glad to help. One good thing to remember is that Cubans do better at 60-65%, and also anything made with Nicaraguan tobacco. Certain thick Ecuadoran leaves will also do better in lower humidity, although not all Ecuadoran tobacco is thick. Indonesian and Cameroon wrappers, as well as light Connecticut shade, will do better in higher humidity.

Never forget however, that your cigars are composed of three different materials, the filler, then a binder leaf goes around that, and lastly, the wrapper is put on. It's a good idea to know the origins of all the tobaccos, although the wrapper would be most important. If it's an obviously thick leaf, lower humidity levels would be better.

I know this is an old thread and thank you for the information on the cubans. I didn't know that. I have all cuban cigars in a 50 cigar humidor. I have about 15 cigars in there. I have had the humidor for about 2 years and I seasoned it properly in the beginning. I calibrated it and everything was working smoothly for a year and a half. I only smoke cigars on special occasions so I don't need to open it very often; maybe once a month.

Originally I was using the old school sponge and distilled water but after about 6 months I switched to a XIKAR jar of beeds. At some point I noticed that the humidity wasn't holding so I added the old school sponge as well. Admittedly I have only been checking once a month and now more frequently since I noticed the humidity would not go above 60% and sometimes it was as low as 55%. I started checking it weekly and would not go above 60%.

Therefore I decided to purchase the BOVEDA packs 5 days ago and I selected 72%. 1st off it looks like I made a mistake in selecting that, however more to the point of my post with one bag it would not go above 60%. I added 2 bags after a day and it still would not go any higher. Finally 3 bags took it up to 65%, but not 72% like it should.

Any idea what might be wrong? Do I need to use more packs?

I know this is an old thread and thank you for the information on the cubans. I didn't know that. I have all cuban cigars in a 50 cigar humidor. I have about 15 cigars in there. I have had the humidor for about 2 years and I seasoned it properly in the beginning. I calibrated it and everything was working smoothly for a year and a half. I only smoke cigars on special occasions so I don't need to open it very often; maybe once a month.

Originally I was using the old school sponge and distilled water but after about 6 months I switched to a XIKAR jar of beeds. At some point I noticed that the humidity wasn't holding so I added the old school sponge as well. Admittedly I have only been checking once a month and now more frequently since I noticed the humidity would not go above 60% and sometimes it was as low as 55%. I started checking it weekly and would not go above 60%.

Therefore I decided to purchase the BOVEDA packs 5 days ago and I selected 72%. 1st off it looks like I made a mistake in selecting that, however more to the point of my post with one bag it would not go above 60%. I added 2 bags after a day and it still would not go any higher. Finally 3 bags took it up to 65%, but not 72% like it should.

Any idea what might be wrong? Do I need to use more packs?

I decided to reseason the humidor the old fashioned way. I don't know what % Iike the cigars, but will 72% "ruin" the Cubans?